How do atheists wed..?

each religion has their own events for the joining of a man & woman into marriage so how do atheists wed?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Sign a piece of paper, just like every other marriage

Yes I was at one last summer. It's still the same as a 'regular' wedding except there's no religious authority, no prayers, none of that. Instead the couple had their closest friends and families read out poems and selected writings that they felt were appropriate. And it was very personal and moving. Much more tailored to the couple than a religious ceremony would be where a priest who does the same thing twice a week says the exact same things for every couple. It was much richer than the religious weddings I've been to. I may even have one myself.

Since most of their family members are usually religious, and since weddings are meant to be a celebration with lots of people, most will just embrace whatever religion is most popular, to bring everyone together. For my mother and stepfather, (both atheists) it was all part of the "fairytale" theme/feeling of the wedding, as they put it.

Otherwise, they'll get a secular authority like a Justice of the Peace to make the binding legal, and come up with their own kind of celebration--or not... whatever they want.

Vegas, The Bahamas, Legal system by a Justice of the Peace, Beneath a tree with a few close friends and family members. any way they want. Some actually do get married in a church because they have a lot of religious family members.

Depends...

Sometimes with a ceremony that aligns with the faith of their parents (To be respectful of their parents)

Sometimes by simply going before a justice of the peace with witnesses

Sometimes with a ceremony that is whatever they want it to be

I'm sure there are more ways...

*Where I live in the USA you must obtain a marriage license from the government and file it appropriately for the marriage to be recognized by the state no matter what you do (To the best of my knowledge).

My wife and I are atheist and got married barefoot on the beach. I live in a state where anyone 18 can act as a preacher, to marry 2 people. So my father-in-law who is just a regular guy acted as the preacher.

My Cousin is an atheist, and her friend in the navy did the honors at their wedding

At the courthouse or Vegas. Then have a reception at Holiday Inn.

They gather at the North Pole and Santa Claus marries them.