What will the cost be when ive accidently had the pool heater on for a month!?

Im house sitting for a family member and i toyed with the heater for the pool one day, the temperature didn't change so i thought i turned it off. Apparently i didn't, or it was by some means turned on again, now i have a giant Sana. its amazing but i know it has to be super pricy. Any estimates? like i said its been about 4 weeks :/ maybe a tad less.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

take wattage of pool heater, multiply by hours its been on, divide by 1000 to get kilowatts, then multiply by cents per kilowatt charged by electric company. 11 cents would probably be pretty close, thats about what it is where i live.

if you dont know the watts but know the amps then remember amps times volts = watts.

• 9 years ago

SInce we don't know if the heater is gas or electric, what the air temp is where you are, how big the pool is, etc., etc., etc. there's no way we could even guess.

Can tell you that our condo has a small outdoor pool and last year we investigated adding a heater......since gas isn't available here, the electric company engineers estimated it would cost $4200 to heat in the 3 winter months. . . . we're in Florida and in the 3 "winter" months, the overnight temps go down as low as 50 degrees and only 75 during the day.

• WinFl.
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

I'm no expert in this area but here's a guess.

let's say the pump runs just 6 hours a day and the heater cost .50/hr to operate, times 28 days.

6 x .50 x 28 = $84. On the other hand the pump may run 10 hours and the cost to heat could be $1.50/hr times 28 days. 10 x 1.50 x 28 = $420.

In the first scenario the home owner might for give you. In the second, hmm, I understand the weather is really nice this time of year in the AUSTRALIAN OUTBACK. Send them a postcard with your heart felt apologies!

I sincerely hope they understand you didn't mean to leave it on. (try blaming it on a cat burglar or say a neighbor did it!)

Source(s): electrician
  • 9 years ago

This is not going to be cheap. It takes a lot of energy to raise the temperature of a large body of water by that much. WOW!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.