Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 9 years ago

Is there a service that will come out and help with a newborn?

I am looking for an experienced mother or nurse that would be able to help with breastfeeding, settling and just basic newborn-mother skills to help a new mum at home, does anyone know of a service that would provide this? Its not for me it is for my friend and if I had the time, I'd help her myself, but I work. Anyone?

Favorite Answer

When I was pregnant there was a program the health department told me about. I can't remember the name but a nurse would cone out once a week to check on baby and answer any questions. It was completely free. We didn't sign up because we had tons of family to help out but this would be great for someone who doesn't have much help.

• Ellen

Doulas are trained professionals who "mother the mother". There are agencies, and some just work alone. You should look for one certified by DONA. Some doulas specialize in labor and delivery, but some work in the home with postpartum moms as well.

Baby nurses tend to want to care for the baby and let the mother sleep, which is not conducive to a good start with breastfeeding.

Source(s): hospital IBCLC and mothers' group leader 20+ years mom to 3

She could hire a nanny, put an ad somewhere like the paper and anyone she interviews she would just have to make sure they knew how to help with breastfeeding and all that she needs help with. That most likely is not going to be cheap though.

• XO

I agree that what you are looking for is a post-partum Doula.

It's quite possible that you could find a labor and post Doula in one.....check it out on some web searches.

Maybe if she could speak to the health visitor? They came out to me when I had issues with my babys feeding and latching on and they sorted the problem out for me.

Apart from that I guess it would be a nanny.

Did your friend not go on any of the free courses about parenting?

Well it depends where you live but if it's breast feeding she needs help with there's la leche league and the program welcome baby is awesome the nurse comes in and checks up on baby and they give you a boppy pillow for free

• jlb

There are post partum doulas that will do this. You can find a certified one on the DONA website

She can call the human resources and ask them for info

My friend Skeevy Mike would be happy to help.

Source(s): kids LOVE him... and he LOVES kids...
  • Pat

Why would she need help?

Tell her to get up off her a$$ and take care of her own kid.

It's not rocket science.