new video card question?

i have a geforce 9600 GSO with 384 mb memory(memory type GDDR3) and i want to change it!my motherboard is Gigabyte EP45-DS3 and it has PCI express 16x!if i want to buy a new video card i only have to wory about if the new video card has PCI express 16x??dose it matter if the new video card`s memory type is GDDR5 and the current video card has GDDR3 or my motherborad supports only GDDR3 video cards or the GDDR thing dosent matter only the PCI express?

Update:

My power supply is 420W!!is that good enough for new video cards?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Andrew
    Lv 6
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You need to worry about the PCI express 16x (which should be just about any video card on the market these days) and how much your power supply can output.

High end video cards take a lot of power, if your power supply can't cope then the whole system can become unstable and prone to crashing.

The nvidia site gives your current graphics card as rated at 105W and a minimum recommended system power supply of 400W. If your new card has a max power of over 105W then make sure your system power supply is at least 300W + whatever the new card is.

The GDDR3 / GDDR5 doesn't matter, that is part of the graphics card and doesn't need to talk to anything else.

• C-Man
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

A long as your motherboard has a PCI-E x16 slot, the rest doesn't matter. Version doesn't matter except for the most expensive cards. Anything under $300 won't be affected by whether the slot is version 1.x or 2.x

Of course higher-end cards require more power, so if you wanted to install a Radeon HD 6770 or GeForce GTX 550 Ti, you'd probably need to upgrade your computer's power supply.

But GDDR5, GDD3 and GDDR2 cards all work fine, there's no compatibility issue with motherboards.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.