how to say no when someone asks for your number?

i have a hard time saying no and always end up with unwanted numbers and text and today i was put in an awkward situation, im a senior girl and this freshmen boy hit on me in school and he ended with "can i at least have ur number?" he looked all hopeful and his friends were watching him, i just left the nurse and felt bad enough and i replied saying " ummm..welll....i i guess so...." i didn't know what to say -__- i already said i didn't have a bf then this senior boy ive hated since 8th grade yells pretty damn loud in the hall " I KNOW YOU DID NOT JUST GIVE UR NUMBER TO A FRESHMEN!!!" i ignored it and walked away cause hes an extremely rude and mean person....but my conscious kills me when these people text me and i don't reply or i say no.....how do i avoid this?

Favorite Answer

By saying at the moment he asks your number - "Sorry but no".

• Hailey

"I'm sorry hun, I'm not interested." Be friendly about it, but firm. It will feel bad the first few times, but you'll get used to it. Honesty will earn you points, because instead of lying and being a jerk about it, you simply say "no thanks". As for the guy who shouted at you, no one can tell real confidence from fake (bul|sh|t baffles brains) so next time someone questions you say, "Yeah I did, got a problem with that?" Feel free to insert fun names like "dickweed".

It will come with time. I can't say a girl has ever said no to me, but I've said no to them (not to be cocky, I just don't like asking for numbers). It's hard but it has to be done, you can't lead them, that's just not fair to them.

Personally I would prefer a simple no, rather than a convoluted web of lies.

"Sorry, I have a boyfriend."

"Actually, I just got a new phone and don't know my number yet."

"Hmmm... that's a good question. I just got a new plan, I'm not sure."

"Um, sorry, but I'm not interested in a relationship."

... these tend to be deterrents.

I just say, "no thank you" smile, then walk away. Sometimes you have to be brutally honest to get people to know what you mean.