How to Find Why I Am a Compulsive Eater ? Drinker ?

I have traded compulsions most of my life from the looks of it, smoking, drinking, over eating, spending. If not one, then the other. I am told that the trigger lays in my past, in some trauma or pain, usually in childhood, but honestly, as sincerely as I search, I can find nor identify none. My childhood was so wonderful, my parents, also, I remember happy years, almost like a fairy tale but for real in my life. I have been told that I have to search, to be unrelenting and not in denial, but I almost have to laugh because there is just no dirt to dig up in my childhood that could be blamed for my being compulsive. I was only 15 when I started gaining weight and it has been a struggle ever since. I was a normal size up until then when I began to gain weight and had to be on strict diets just to be normal. There has to be other answers , who may know ?

I am now 73 and over the years I have consulted many a professional . Most of them need help themselves and at best, are ineffective, at worst, they are quacks.

I am depressed because I can't control my compulsions.

• To my mind, no one knows really what moves us to do the things we do, these professionals can only make a guess about it and try to sound like they know what they are talking about. The things of the mind are unseen, not tangible and we can only make guesses. Some, most professional therapists are as screwed up as the rest of us, only more so. If there is any help to be gained from any of them, it comes from within our selves from everything I have seen over my life.

It is fine to do this soul searching you talk about, it may be a very good thing, but so many others have horrible, nightmare things happen and they do not gain weight, do not become obese, do not drink excessively, do not gamble, nor smoke, nor anything else. So there it is. I also see some very religious types who are always praying this and that and they are fat anyway, they drink to excess anyway, so there is no God who is going to intervene either.

Anyway, if there is a God, it needs to be on duty for more important stuff - like preventing Serial killers from raping and killing children, stopping war crimes, and abuse, so how can anybody in their right mind have the audacity to ask a God to help them stop eating ? stop drinking ? etc etc. I'd be too ashamed to even bother some big hot shot God person about my being over weight with all the crap going on in the world that really needs his / or her/ attention.

I'd say you are on your own. Get some books about compulsions, especially eating disorders, join some groups and keep trying, just keep trying. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Make an appointment with a mental health professional. They are trained to help you figure these things out.

• ?

Often a depression is the reason.