How should i improve on my overhand float serve?

I made my middle school team and I have the whole winter break to practice.....but HOW????

Favorite Answer

Get a friend and go find a net somewhere, that is at the height that you will play.

1. You and your friend stand at opposite 10-foot lines.

2. Practice tossing the ball in front of you a little bit lower than you would normally for a top spin serve.

3. Make sure that if you are serving with your right hand, your left foot is in front of the right and vise versa if you are a lefty.

4. You know how you follow through when you are serving regularly? For a floater, you need to keep your wrist straight, and stop your follow through when you contact the ball. It will kind of sound like a pop.

The reason that I said for you and your friend to start at the 10-foot line was that it is not going to have as much power as your other serve. After 10 successful serves each from both of you, move back a little bit, continue until you have reached the end line. It will probably feel a little bit weird at first, but the more you do it, the better it will feel. Stay positive and have fun!

Source(s): Played for 6 years, including college. Club coach for 12-13 year olds!

im assuming you are right handed but if not, just reverse everything i say. make sure you start with your left foot in front and toss the ball about 2 inches above your extended arm so you have a little time. as you are about to hit the ball, step with your left foot again. your right foot should just drag on the floor. make contact with the ball in the middle, not the top of the ball and follow through if you want to serve deep and stop at contact for a short serve. but don't change your form, the only thing that changes for a short serve is that you toss the ball more above you rather than in front of you. you can improve this by either going to a gym with a volleyball court with carts, or just hit it against a wall if you can. also, try to practice zone serving. you will definitely have an advantage over the other people on your team!

Source(s): high school and club volleyball player

Either serve against a wall or a garage door, if you have a net, you can serve over it at the ten foot line and then keep moving back untill you are at the end line, I found that instead of tossing the ball really high, it works better if you lift the ball most of the way and then just pop and hit it.

hope I helped :)

Source(s): player

not sure what a "float" serve is. But to improve on overhand, make sure you hit the ball with a strong hand and a great toss. good luck

go to a volleyball court and bring a friend and you jut have them practice with them or go to a back bored by your self and just serve