How can I keep my dog from crossing the road, but let her roam behind the house?

We live in the country, and have many acres of fields and woods behind the house. Our 3 year old golden retriever got hit chasing a coyote out of our yard across the road, and we are getting another golden puppy. Is there some kind of electric fence or something that we could run along the ditch, but still allow her to roam behind the house? I figure this can't be done since electric fences are closed circuits. I figure the best thing to do is to buy a sport dog trainer collar, and just "manually" teach her to stay away from the road, and reward her for staying in the yard and behind the house.

Ladystang, I agree. I have trained the last 3 dogs we've had without the use of fences and such. I personally believe that human interaction for training is a lot more effective and beneficial to both the dog and owner. After our Golden got hit, my parents feel like a fence is a must. If you train them right, you can get your dog to obey just about anything.

Favorite Answer

Put up a fence.

If you're looking to avoid installing an invisible fence around your entire property, they do make wireless fencing systems. There is a unit or "hub" that you place in your home and it creates a radial boundary. Similar to an invisible fence, once the dog steps outside of the radial boundary it receives a pulse from the collar.

Some things to consider... if you have a short driveway, the radius might be too liberal and your dog might still be able to reach the road. You might just have to do some measuring and researching to see if any of these wireless systems will work for you.

I'm a big fan of e-collar training, despite the fact that people carry very negative misconceptions of it. If you do decide to train using a collar, I would recommend making a very clear visual line (using flags, posts, large rocks, etc) several yards back from the actual road. By doing so, you give yourself a large margin to work with and it'll act as a reminder and clear boundary for your learning pup. Also, be sure to research and study up on appropriate and effective techniques for using an e-collar if you aren't already familiar with it.

Source(s): Certified Dog Trainer

we live out in the county too with countless acres of swampland. Unfortunately, we're right on the road. Our dog that we moved here with grew up in the city in our old house, and he very rarely went out into the road. In our neighborhood, it's the norm for dogs to visit the neighbors, and there used to be a dog who would fall asleep in the road because the pavement was warm (surprisingly, she is still alive). After our old dog passed away, we got two new puppies who love to follow a scent. We were going to build a fence around our property, but the price of lumber was higher than the cost of simply installing an electric fence. Invisible Fence (a national company) has very nice service and the person who installed ours is very good with dogs. Many people think that electric fences are cruel, but really, they're not, and they're the best way to keep dogs from getting hit by cars. I highly suggest that you install an invisible fence, don't worry, there is special training that goes with it, and your dogs will catch on quickly and wont get shocked after a few times. It really works, good luck!

fence

training and supervision

don't agree with training aids to replace training by ignorant people. more likely to kill or chase dog off