Do vegetarians crave meat?

Favorite Answer

I think a lot do - don't you know someone who was veg and went back to eating meat because of bacon? I know several. I don't crave meat, but I've been vegetarian since I was 3, more than 30 years now. The crave factor was the reason I thought it was important to raise my kids NOT eating meat to start and allow them to introduce it later, if they choose.

• Efs

I love how some people are speaking on behalf of EVERY vegetarian. Did someone elect you king of vegetarians and allow you to speak on behalf of all of them?

Anyway, Im vegan. When I first started, I definitely did crave meat. But now I really never crave meat at all.

I think after a while, the cravings go away completely or just greatly diminish.

I've been vegetarian for three years now so I've lost the taste for it. It took about a month to stop craving meat and I still remember what some kinds taste like but I deffidentally don't crave it or want to go back to eating it.

Merry Christmas!

at times they may, but others may actually be distgusted by the smell or sight or any essence of it. it varies from person to person. but the key thing to know is that if you are a vegetarian and you DO crave meat... there's a high possibility your body is trying to tell you something. those "cravings" that pregnant woman always talk about are usually their bodu (and the childs body) telling them that they are missing a nutrient or vitamin or mineral in their body and the food you crave may have those nutrients. so if a vegetarian ever craves meat it could mean that your body is down on either protein, iron, vitamin B-12, or any other nutrient your body lacks that is present in meat and absent at the moment from your diet. so eat something with high protein or pop a natural B-12 vitamin (you can find them in most stores and pharmacies... the orgainc type)

Source(s): i am a fellow veg-head

I never have. Once I became aware of how meat makes it's way to the dinner table, there are been few things that disgust me more. I don't even eat meat replacement products (soy stuff or quorn). I'm very aware of my diet, and what nutritional requirements I need to meet each day. I think in part it's a mental aversion, but also I'm getting everything I need without consuming flesh, so I simply don't crave it.

Source(s): Vegetarian for 13 years

For me the answer to this question was surprisingly No. I was a huge meat eater until Sept. I made the decision and quit meat and dairy cold turkey (no pun inteneded) the next day. I never craved meat. Now milk and cheese was a different story. It took three months to quit dreaming of cheese, but when I stared broccoli casserole down at Thanksgiving, covered in its melty cheddar, and was able to say "I don't need you!" Well, that was a big moment!

Depends on the vegetarian, I guess. If someone is just starting out, I would guess that he or she would probably crave it. If they're morally against meat, or have been vegetarian for a long time, they probably don't. They may crave other protein rich foods like beans or quinoa.

We're all different. I don't usually crave meat. In fact, I'd say that I almost never do. In general, it has no real appeal for me at all, but on occasion, I'll get a whiff of it and it will smell good. I'm not sure why that happens. Usually, I think it smells bad. This happens with other foods sometimes as well.

• ?

Some do, some don't.

I personally still get the occasional craving after 5+ years of being a vegetarian. No biggie, I just realize that not every itch needs to be scratched.

most vegetarians start to crave meat when they first became one, unless they hated meat. it depends on the person. i hardly ever crave meat. usually only when i see a commercial or a picture of it