What are some necessary skills for DIY projects?

Hi. I want to get into DIY projects to save money in my future. However, I have little experience making things other than legos. What type of skills should I work on to improve my ability to work on these projects? Thank you.

• WinFl.
    Favorite Answer

1) how to read a tape measure all the way down to 1/32"

2) know what safety equipment to wear, use and have on hand. That would be safety glasses, gloves, ear plugs, ladders in good shape, extension cords with ground, clamps, fire extinguishers and don't forget to have a good first-aid kit in the house!

3) ALWAYS turn off the Branch Circuit not just the switch before doing any electrical work. Even then it is possible to get shocked under certain circumstances.

4) turn off the water before doing any plumbing work. Or at least have buckets and towels handy!

5) Read and if necessary re-read the INSTRUCTIONS. If you look around YA long enough you will see that many, many folks DON"T read the instructions. If they had they wouldn't have to ask simple/dumb questions here.

6) Do invest in basic hand tools. Avoid as much as possible buying Cheap tools. Garage and Estate sales are a good place to get Good Used Brand Name Tools. (I myself won't buy tools from a Pawn shop for fear of buying something stolen by some druggie to support his habit.)

7) a good selection of sand paper, steel wool, screws, nails, assorted kinds of tape, mineral spirits, denatured alcohol, Liquid wrench, WD-40... and the list goes on and on!

8) a couple of good DIY books to refer to

9) and a good place to sit down and relax from time to time won't hurt any!

Have fun!

Source(s): electrician

Understanding the principles and differences in materials; the methods to attach them; and fabricating the device to withstand the forces it will undergo.

And of course listening to others who've done it and can pass on know-how without undergoing the agony of leaning the hard way.

Just watch the DIY channel for a few days and you'll be fine.

depends on wtf your doing theres all sorts of resources online for things you might want to diy