What to think about my daughter’s behaviour?

My 10 year old daughter got into the habit of swimming naked in her grand dad's indoor swimming pool. Since I strongly believe girls must be able to make their own decisions I don’t interfere and let her stay in the nude. However when her boy cousins are present at the pool she doesn’t mind at all being naked in front of them, even though the boys always wear shorts. I don’t know what to think about her being so uninhibited; she is either a very confident girl with lots of self- esteem or is presenting an exhibitionist behaviour which requires some form of attention. What would be your opinion on what I should do?

Favorite Answer

Sit down with her and discuss what effect she thinks she is having on her boy cousins if she appears in the nude . Ask her what the boys are thinking of her behaviour and what kind of girl they think she is . Do not be judgmental just ask for her response . Tell ker that her cousins will talk to other boys about what they see and ask her if she is happy to be the topic of such conversations . Then leave it up to her . She seems to me to be attempting to have a confrontation about this matter and I would not please her by having such a confrontation .

Best of luck

Your job as the parent is to guide your daughter. You cannot leave a 10 year old girl to make her own decisions the way your are doing it. Here's an acceptable decision-making example for a 10 year old girl: "Do you want to go to a movie with me, or stay home with dad?" " Do you want to have pizza for supper or hot dogs?" " Do you want to finish your chores now or do you want to wait until tomorrow?" She gets to make the choice and live with the results. I can hardly believe you think it is proper for a 10 year old girl to swim with her cousins in the nude. Be a responsible adult and tell your child what is acceptable behavior and what is not. You are supposed to protect her from making wrong decisions that can have a negative impact on her life. Why does her grandfather not have any rules in his own house?

• Bk

I don't think she should swim naked with boys around. As a parent you have every right to discipline your child if you feel what she's doing is wrong...

First. i congradulate you on being a good parent. how about explaining to her that being naked in front of other people isnt right. explain too her that doing it alone is perfectly fine.. try too create a boundery for her. that way she still does what she wants. and also disaplined.

i take it you haven't told her the facts of life yet and how her behavior isn't young lady like,