Why do religions try to force themselves down your throat?

I don't think anyone has any problem with people having their own personal beliefs and relationships with whatever god or gods they believe in. It's because many religions claim that the path to their heaven is by converting as many people as possible to their religion, or in some cases, killing those who don't believe in their religion.

Do you think the world would be a better place if people simply kept their beliefs to themselves and practiced their religions on themselves and their own characters, rather than forcing others to believe in it? (or in the case of some atheists, forcing others to not believe?)

Maybe the world would be better off without proselytizing. Since that's not apt to happen any time soon, it's hard to say.

But I can guaran-damn-tee ya that it would be a lot more pleasant if people stopped bitching and moaning when their widdle feelings get hurt or things don't go their way. You don't like what someone else says and don't want to listen to what others believe?

Then pull up your big kid drawers and learn to say, "Thank you, but I'm not interested in learning more about your religion at this time."

Problem solved.

Illuminati reverse-psychology tactic. This is an age-old deception: force religion on the mass & eventually, it will create a disdain for religion on a major scale. Once everybody hates religion, we'll be easily led into communistic totalitarianism(New World Order Dictatorship.) It's very deceptive & virtually undetectable, since it's played out on such a massive scale. As far as the Gospel, Jesus said to preach to those who are willing to hear. But when you try to force ppl, they end up hating it. The Monarchy knows this, which is why they force us into religions from birth. The Gospel is about liberating us FROM the system, which is why Christians are so relentless.

Speaking as a Christan, I have never felt anyone force anything on me (speaking before I gave my life to Christ) What I do notice is the passion that many have can at times scare off people.. However, you have to remember regardless of ones belief's we are human just like anyone else. It could just be the personality or character of one person.. Ive met certain people who are atheist who also are passionate about their beliefs and sometimes come off aggressive as well. Ive learned to accept it for what it is, its the "person' relaying the message not the message itself..

With all due respect, I don't quite understand your vantage point on religion. All you have to say is "no." You needn't be rude if someone is trying to convert you. Just say "no thanks, I am happy with my beliefs." I really don't understand how anyone could think that a religion is being forced down his or her throat. I personally do not go around with a .45 pistol, demanding that people accept my religion, or else. If you want to know more about Jesus, I am here for you. I am not going to force anything on you. I personally do not know of any Theists who force their beliefs down other people's throats. Some people encourage others to go to church. Some tell them about Jesus and his love. Is that the equivalent of "shoving their religion down someone's throat?" In my humble opinion, that is a hyperbole.

Source(s): Christian.
  • .

I suppose that's one way to the heart, but I prefer sticking it in your ear when I can, for "faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God" (Romans 10:17)

If people kept all of their beliefs to themselves, all of society would crumble into nothingness or chaos. Think about it.

By the way, who forced you to yahoo answers RELIGION & Spirituality section? Did they shove their fist down your throat and drag you in here or what? Hypocrite!

• Lynn

Because there are still millions of people in the world, all countries, who think whatever they do, believe or follow is the only RIGHT way. And so their egos force them to try and force their beliefs upon others. Some people call this proselytizing. I call it stupid. But that's the way the world is. Whadda gonna do? They do this with politics and fashion and entertainment and anything else you can think of.

I'm not forcing anything down anyone's throat. I'm just here to point out the straw men that the atheists built out of my religion.

Source(s): basic apologetics.

Catholicism and Judaism, for example, don't try to "force themselves down your throat."

I think it's a waste of time to try to convert people to a religion. People ask me about my beliefs and I am honest about them - but I don't try to drag them to my church. God gave us free will. We should all practice it.

Source(s): Christian

i think people should keep what they believe to themselves and i say this as a Christian. i could care less what you believe cause i definitely don't try to convert anybody neither does anyone else i know. i think you confusing religion with those televangelist that always ask for money.