Kevin asked in Social SciencePsychology · 9 years ago

Is it possible to be depressed for years?

I am not sure where to begin but yesterday I got this crazy idea that I have been depressed for the past 5 years. I get depressed about twice a week but my routine, as a way to avoid alcohol and whatnot, is to always hear Christian music, and go to sleep. Well, I was thinking about the last couple of years and I realized that when my depression began, I was always feeling extremely tired..I've been tired ever since. I get up, go to school, deal with issues, get stuff done..but it is just that I am always so tired, no matter how much sleep I get. Also, I've become disinterested in many of the things I used to like to do. I don't find it that interesting to hang out anymore, I used to like watching movies/tv shows..now all I like watching is talent shows because I love watching people live out their dreams once its over. It's a bit odd because I don't feel anything...I don't feel anything when I get "depressed" late at nights, I do not feel anything at the moment..its as if I do not have any emotions, the only emotion I can identify is being tired. At times I just want to go away to Australia, get a name change and forget about everything and everyone except my parents. I want to start over yet it seems kind of unrealistic. All in all, and sorry if you actually read all of this lol, I guess I was just curious if maybe my sleepiness is associated with my depression? I've used sleep as a way to escape my pain and whenever I might get scared, nervous, mad, I always get extremely extremely sleepy, maybe as a way to escape it? I am not sure, just wanted opinions. Thank you so much! and God bless!

• Celine
    Favorite Answer

yes it is.

• M.

uh depression without any particular reason makes no sense, its not normal or okay. but if it has a reason, like you had an incident or something that still hurts you, then it does make some sense. I hope you get rid of it. It happens with me too that I feel low without any particular kinda reason but it's not more than a day and well what a coincidence i feel the same way when i'm extremely low "I just want to go away to Australia, get a name change and forget about everything and everyone except my parents. I want to start over yet it seems kind of unrealistic" cause I love Australia and its my dream to go there.

yea i definitly think u may be suffering with depression .. do u think u have accepted the fact that u have depression and that ur not happy or are u still trying to fight it off !? just something to think about ... best of luck through life :)

god bless