Morena
Morena asked in Cars & TransportationCommuting · 9 years ago

If a semi truck turns on turn signals to get in your lane do you speed up or slow down?

On the highway, if you are slightly behind and getting ready to pass a semi truck and he suddenly turns on his turn signal to get in your lane should you speed up or slow down to allow him in front of you.

Favorite Answer

You should Slow down.. there Is a big blind spot on both sides of trucks I have my class A and have seen way to many people treat me like I'm driving a High performance vehicle that can stop on a dime and turn like I'm on rails.. Which cant be further from the truth

.. So you should slow down honestly give them space.

Think about it .. Not every person driving a car is a good driver.. So some of those drivers also happen to be truck drivers .. And he or she may not notice you slipped in there blind spot.. and worst case scenario there's no place for you to go besides get side swiped and that will be bad for both of you and everyone around you...

In the end.. Better safe then sorry assume that driver is a idiot

Slow down. Trucks have large blind spots so if you speed up when they want to change lanes into the lane they want to move into, there's no guarantee the driver will see you. It's safer to slow down.

Be courteous, let them over. Remember this. The car you're driving is about 3000-3500lbs, and is about 15-17 feet long. The truck he's driving is about 12,000lbs, is 24-26 feet long, and pulling a 53 foot trailer that could weigh upwards of 60,000-75,000lbs. depending on what he's hauling. It's a lot harder for him to get over than you.

Source(s): Family of truckers, always let them in.
  • Mikel

Only if you are along side of semi and have a place to go (not blocked in front by another car) would I speed up.

Tonnage always rules! You may be right, but then again you may be DEAD right!

I'd stay back. They have much bigger blind spots to pay attention to and it takes longer for you to pass a semi than a normal sized car, so if he/she can't see you and starts to merge in your lane, a serious accident could result.

Also.. to AnonymousGearhead.. I don't now any cars that are 15 to 17 feet long on average...

Immediately try to move your car under the truck. It will drag your car along and save you gas. You can even put your car in neutral and let the truck drag you down the road.

This applies to all vehicles. If some one wants to change to your lane and turns on his signals be courteous and let him in..

• que x

I'd let them get in front. Safer that way. Then you can repass them on another lane, safely.