Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 9 years ago

Why we humans are attracted to nice looking people?

Why is it all about good looks?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

What is nice looking? In china it's chinese looking people, in sweden it's pale people.

Good looks have nothing to do with good health. Men are attracted to women with tans, yet tans are a mutation of the skin, and causes premature ageing and increases the risk of skin cancer. Women that straighten their hair are drying it out and weakening it. If good looks = healthy, then nobody would date heavy smokers that party every other day.

Attraction to people is so dependent on learning/conditioning that I bet you could get women to want to date a man with scar from a bomb explosion on his face. If you put that man on the Pedestal and the people around shocked by his intelligence and confidence, then women would be attracted to that man. Unfortunately for women, it's not as easy. If you made women physically stronger than men, then it would redesign the culture where men have the role of the women. Get a women with an fierce attitude and ego, and she won't be humilated ever again. But men won't be attracted to her. But if every women did that, it would redesign the culture and men would date strong, egotistical women and accept the role as the submissive and weak partner.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

It is a primitive instinct involving reproduction. The better looking a perspective mate, the more likely they have good genes which will be passed on in children, and help assure survival. Back in the days of early man, physical fitness also ensured one could protect their mate and offspring efficiently as well as maintain the stamina for hunting and gathering...Nowadays, its much more superficial, obviously..And more a matter of personal preference..A person's opinion of someone's personality can also greatly effect their physical attraction to them as well, so it is not always so black and white as to say people prefer good looking people to less attractive people...

• 9 years ago

Generally speaking good looks are connected with sound heredity.

Since reproduction is the primary function of sexual attraction the connexion is obvious. Good proportions, symmetry, grace, strength (and in the female, also shapely hips and breasts promising fitness for motherhood) are all both signs of the ability to offer good genes to match with one's own, and the probability of life long enough to rear the children.

That we choose sexual partners without being aware of any of this is irrelevant. We do not, either, analyse the amino acids in a steak we pronounce to be tasty and which is highly nutritious. Biology often works without the need to involve the conscious mind.

• Angela
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

I think its all primaeval. Of course what humans find attractive differs from culture to culture, but the basic concept remains the same. We've been taught to associate specific physical characteristics with behavioral and psychological aspects of an individual, so If we find someone physically attractive, what we are actually attracted to is the behavioral characteristic we associate with that physical trait.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Good looking is percetion of an individual .a good looking person to one may not be good looking to others..

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I don't know :P but my question is since when did people have the standard of beautiful and ugly column?

• 9 years ago

Well, I like a girl who everyone thinks kinda ugly.

• sa
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

May be due to natural instinct !

• Because they make me hard down there.

• 9 years ago

Idk how they first determined what falls under the category of ugly and beautiful...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.