In a novel does it make it better if one of the main characters die or not?

• Javik
    Favorite Answer

*takes deep breath*

NO. Having a character die in a story does not invariably make the story better.

One of the lessons of writing is that there is NOTHING that will invariably make your story interesting or unappealing. All that matters is how well it is executed and portrayed in the story.

It doesn't make it better automatically. If the character is a good, well rounded character that is very like-able and they get killed off in a good way that ADDS to the story then yes. BUT (this is me just talking here) it must provoke a REALISTIC response from the other characters. You don't want them to be extremely theatrical or insensitive to the death. That really ruins the moment, especially the over dramatic way. HOWEVER, killing off a main character is a HUGE gamble. If done wrong, you could just ruin your story completely. But that is just me talking. I've only been sad for few deaths in the many books I've read. The only one that really made me sad was when Sirius died. For the most part, it was the reaction that got me.

Source(s): Me :)

It really does depend. If he plays a huge main part in the story, as in they are THE main character, then I would only do it when you have a good reason, and it better be for a good reason too. Not everyone likes it when an MC dies. But I suppose that if you want to kill a main character, who isn't the main, main character, then it would be OK. I wouldn't see anything wrong with that at all.

Source(s): Crime Writer Answer Mine? >> http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Av...

not always, it all depends on how you write about it and how you presewnt it. Though in most cases if one or two main characteters die it makes the novel much better as it adds sadness and makes the book more real, rather than everything working out perfectly which is totally unrealistic.

It depends.

Honestly it does, for me though, if I really like the MC and have been cheering for him/her the whole time throughout the story then I'll be pretty pissed if for no reason at all he/she dies. Unless it adds to the story and there's a very good reason for it then it's not okay.

• ?

If your gonna kill of your main character then you better have a good reason.

Please help me with my question:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=201112...