WAH
WAH asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 9 years ago

My cakes always cook too quickly on the outside!?

I have a cake in the oven now that was originally set at 350 but I've lowered it to 300 and placed tinfoil over top but the outside is perfectly cooked and the inside is liquid. How can I fix/prevent this?

Fahrenheit

Favorite Answer

I used to bake at 325 without knowing it. My cakes always raised beautifully and were nicely and lightly browned, while some of my friends burned theirs. I thought I just had "the touch" for baking. Then I found out my oven thermometer was off, and the thing ran about 25 degrees cooler than it said it did. Rats. So much for my "touch."

I suggest checking your oven thermometer with another thermometer if that's at all possible. Your oven may be running hot and you don't know it.

I can also recommend wrapping the outside of your pans in a towel, if you have an electric oven. A friend who bakes wedding cakes says that is how she gets them to bake evenly.

Buy an oven thermometer. This will tell you the real temp that your oven is heating too. Baking a cake at a true 350 degrees is a perfect temperature.

Your oven is way too hot. Turn it down to about 180 and try from there. Can't say more without knowing more details but 350 is very high.

EDIT: PLEASE don't listen to the advice telling you to put a thermometer in the oven. This could end up killing both you and your entire household. That's exactly why amateurs answering questions like this is extremely dangerous. By the way, a specific oven thermometer would be fine but the original poster didn't state that.

EDIT 2: I apologise, 350 is correct. I didn't realise you were quoting in old skool reference (Farenheit). I concur with below. Put the cake on a lower shelf.

Source(s): Chef at top London Restaraunt
  • ABE c

1.You can try to lower the cake to the middle of the oven.

2. Your oven might be the problem as well. I think you did the rite thing but 325 might be okay.

3. the pan itself might be the problem. maybe its time to buy a new cake pan. I had a cookie sheet pan that would overcook everything even when its done correctly.

• Q-mama

Sounds like your oven calibration is off.

Put an oven thermometer in there and check your temp at several different parts of the oven (move the racks and put the thermometer on both sides, front and back.

If you don't find even temps all around then you need to get it repaired.

What kind of pan are you using. Is it a dark metal? If so that will cause the outside to cook faster.

It could be because your oven bakes unevenly, that your oven is too hot, or that your pan is bad.