What can I do to get the engine started?

My 97 lincoln town car continues not to start. It had started a month ago and just cut off on it's own. Now the engine won't start, I've tried new batteries, starter, cleaning connections, and changing spark plugs and wires. This hasn't happen before and now I'm just lost!

Any suggestions, I could use the help. Thanks!

When I turn the key, the engine turns but only at 1/4 the speed of normal and it seems as though the battery is being drained or strained. Also when trying to start on some occasions the engine backfires exhaust through the intake.

I'm not having any problems with my lights or power inside the car, it is just that the engine turns but won't start.

Still looking for a solution!

• JetDoc
    Favorite Answer

A gasoline engine needs three things to run... Air, fuel and ignition. If you're confident that you have properly replaced the spark plugs and you're getting spark, then that leaves air and fuel. Air is easy and unless the air filter is completely blocked, that's most likely not the problem. Sounds to me as if your engine is not receiving the proper fuel. Replace the fuel filter, then check to see if the fuel pump is working properly. Last, have a knowledgable mechanic check your fuel injection system.

Is it also difficult to crank the engine by hand? If this is the case, you might have a piston seizure. If not, I'd suspect a bad battery connection to the starter. The backfiring can be caused by either a lean mixture or bad ignition timing. Do you get a clear spark?

• ?

Have you tried taking it to a mechanic, that usually helps? Starter motor maybe? I'm no expert that is why I use a mechanic when my car won't work