What does it mean if someone is charged with contempt?

My ex-daughter in-law has charged my son with contempt because he has been out of work and has not paid his child support. he did not pay her attorney and the way these papers read he was suppose to?

3 Answers

  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    Courts have the power to incarcerate people for willful violations of court orders. Best to procure some evidence as to why "out of work." A question which may be asked is, "How do you manage to eat, yet pay no child support?" Quite often the answer is, "Duh.......," which is not a good response.

  • 9 years ago

    Your ex daughter in law did not charge him with this, only the court can. If you do not comply with court orders you can be held in contempt of court and may have bench warrants issued for your arrest. I do not know which state you live in but would suggests that your son contact a licensed attorney in your state immediately regarding this situation.

  • 9 years ago

    Contempt, in this context, means failure to comply with a court order. It's up to your son to seek a modification of the order if his circumstances have changed.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.