Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 9 years ago

Feasibility of a handheld laser weapon and its biological effects?

What would you say the feasibility of engineering a handheld laser gun such as those seen in star wars? I am interested in how close and what technology is available now to eventually develop something like this, I suppose the biggest draw back would be powering the gun.

What do you guys think and what would the biological effects it would have on the human body?

Favorite Answer

I think something like the blasters they have on Star Wars would have to be some kind of plasma or anti-matter. I would imagine you have have to have a cartridge (like a shotgun shell) with inert plasma, that would somehow need to be activated by an electrical charge or chemical injection.

You don't ever seem the reloading (that I can recall) but there has to be some sort of limit based at least on the "charge" of a blaster. If this was anti-matter, the actual mass of each "shot" would be remarkably small... really only the size of a grain of sand. So a typical "clip" of our proposed anti-matter could really hold hundreds of shots.

The effects of any type of the above would primarily be burns. If you could propel a "hot plasma" shot like I'm endorsing here, at near bullet speeds, it would be hot enough to melt a hole half way through the human body pretty much instantly. I don't know that there would be much in the way of impact, per se, but the heat would be the real thing here.

As far as current technology. They have created both plasma and anti-matter. I think they said it would take 1000 years at current levels of processing to make a tablespoon of anti-matter, or something like that. Some scientists are are saying plasma could have a real use for force fields or "windows" in space.

Interesting question... hope that makes sense!

• Kyp

Indeed, the biggest drawback would be powering the gun. Current technology has progressed to the point where laser weapons are feasible, although I believe they are currently banned under UN rulings (please do check up on this). Even so, current weapon-standard lasers are not man-portable yet, and current man-portable lasers aren't weapon-standard yet. The energy sources required for a laser weapon are still very bulky, although I wouldn't be surprised if the first portable laser weapons would be tripod mounted and used in the same fashion as a tripod-mounted machine gun.

Biological effects would include burns and charring.