Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 9 years ago

So do you think I am setting my kids up in specific gender roles that is to narrow?

Wrapping Christmas presents today made me think of GS...

Wrapping up Barbie Stuff, Jewelry & Clothes- for my 2 daughters

Wrapping up Lego & Batman for my stepson

These are gifts I know they will enjoy but I was wondering because of GS do you think that it shouldn't be this way? Wondering feminist view especially?

Favorite Answer

I'll instead tell you a story.

My sister's grandson was playing with his teddy bears when he was about 2 yrs old. [Little kids of BOTH genders are fascinated by plush toys and baby dolls--a little boy will hug another baby as readiliy a sa little girl.] But she wanted him to like trucks, so she bought him a truck. Every time he played with the teddy bear, she'd say oh, no, and hand him the truck. Soon, he learned that to get grandma's favor, trucks "should be" preferred.

That is, in a microcosm, how society works to affect gender roles.

I'm not saying it's horrible, but it's certainly THERE. "Masculine" toys are only that because WE say they are.

As a child, I liked dolls--however, I'd climb a tree, put my doll up there, and say she was at the babysitter. Then I'd go play with something else, like Creepy Crawlers.

• moyle

definite. Gender roles reduce someone to steretypes. i imagine little ones may benift from moms who're extra assertive and formidable to boot as father who're extra nuturing. Plus each and anyone is born with diverse skills. If a guy is a more desirable prepare dinner and bigger with little ones, why make him artwork outdoors the homestead. human beings could do what's purely perfect for them. Plus eliminating gender roles doesn't propose all of us ought to act a similar, it purely provide us concepts. If some women opt to the position makeup, and prepare dinner. sturdy for them, I do purely not imagine we could continuously rigidity human beings to be a particular way.

• Sam

No, seeing as no boy would like a barbie and likewise for a girl with a batman toy

Now, if you're trying to control their behaviors, it's a different story...

"too narrow"? ... say better "traditional".

as long as the kids play with what you got theme i think not. programing a girl child to play with dolls when she wants to play with lego's would be too narrow.

sadly, i gotta agree with old's cool. i have seen multiple fathers program sons that "boys play with trucks not dolls"... i don't really have a problem with traditional programing though.

it's what they like isn't it? if your daughters liked boy things and your stepson liked girl things are you were forcing gender specific roles then maybe it would guilt worthy, but not this.

Believe it or not, boys and girls are different. Most like different things from one another, that's why it's seen as the norm.

Don't let the PC goody-goodies infect your motherly ways.

If your kids are happy then you are doing your job!