Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 9 years ago

Eye surgery but want SEAL contract?

I am due to have PRK surgery to correct my vision in early January. I have just started training with a former SEAL/personal trainer at a local gym and the plan is to train 6 days a week 3 hrs a day until I ship out. My question is prior to enlisting if I have PRK eye surgery will that automatically disqualify me from getting a SEAL contract...I've tried to do my research but it is still unclear what the accurate answer is.

PRK dq's you for a year. After a year if everything is good with your eyes you can get a waiver and get still get a SEAL contract.

If you are considering PRK is sounds like your pre-surgery eye sight is not good enough for the SEALs anyway. If the Navy is your dream and being a SEAL just sounds fun I wouldn't risk the PRK. If being a SEAL is your dream take the risk and the wait time because you probably aren't getting a contract without it.

Source(s): Best friend tried to get to OCS with a SEAL contract and was rejected because of his eyes. Now he's getting PRK and trying again next year.

You will need a waiver for the surgery but you can get a contract.

The mandatory waiting/healing period is 3 months for PRK, not 1 year as the other answer suggests.

Source(s): Have a SEAL contract and I had PRK

Don't do it. I believe that there are ways of getting the surgery once you have to contract, but if you do it before, you will be DQ'ed.