Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 9 years ago

Eye surgery but want SEAL contract?

I am due to have PRK surgery to correct my vision in early January. I have just started training with a former SEAL/personal trainer at a local gym and the plan is to train 6 days a week 3 hrs a day until I ship out. My question is prior to enlisting if I have PRK eye surgery will that automatically disqualify me from getting a SEAL contract...I've tried to do my research but it is still unclear what the accurate answer is.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

PRK dq's you for a year. After a year if everything is good with your eyes you can get a waiver and get still get a SEAL contract.

If you are considering PRK is sounds like your pre-surgery eye sight is not good enough for the SEALs anyway. If the Navy is your dream and being a SEAL just sounds fun I wouldn't risk the PRK. If being a SEAL is your dream take the risk and the wait time because you probably aren't getting a contract without it.

Source(s): Best friend tried to get to OCS with a SEAL contract and was rejected because of his eyes. Now he's getting PRK and trying again next year.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

You will need a waiver for the surgery but you can get a contract.

The mandatory waiting/healing period is 3 months for PRK, not 1 year as the other answer suggests.

Source(s): Have a SEAL contract and I had PRK
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Don't do it. I believe that there are ways of getting the surgery once you have to contract, but if you do it before, you will be DQ'ed.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.