Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 9 years ago

How do I respond when people say "You're mature for your age." ?

I'm 17, female. I can be immature, yet very mature. I'm not book smart, I just understand the common sense stuff, which comes off as "smart." I can't exactly explain it. Well, ever since I was about 11/12, people have always said "You're mature for your age." Even my humor is adult type of humor. I've always gotten along with people who are older than me. I kind of hate when people say this, I just smile. I mean, I guess it's a good thing to be seen as mature, right? All of them say "You obviously have your immature moments because you're still young, other than that you're mature for your age." Well, how am I supposed to respond? I used to say "Ha. Well, I try!" They'll reply "No, you are." What the heck am I supposed to say? Thank you?

Well, thanks in advance! (:

8 Answers

Relevance
  • L A
    Lv 6
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Look at it as a compliment. Say "Thank you for your compliment" with a smile and you will make their statement even more true.

• 9 years ago

I've had to deal with that sort of thing my whole life. I've always been the mature one, but even though you do have immature moments, you still say "Thank you" to the person who said you're mature for your age. After all, it is a compliment. :) Like it is with any compliment, even if you don't think you measure up to it, always say "Thank you" anyway, otherwise it makes them feel dumb like they missed something or they don't know what they're talking about.

• DRE
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

Yeah its a good thing if your mature. When people say that to you, just simply say: "awe, thank you".

• Linda
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

You say the same thing you say when you receive any other compliment. - thank you. Period.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Say thanks, that will work if they are trying to put you down or compliment you, and seems like a compliment!

• 9 years ago

Exactly! You just say thank you! Lol! What else can you say?! :-D

• 9 years ago

I think you read to much into this.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

"Thank you."

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.