Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 9 years ago

How do I respond when people say "You're mature for your age." ?

I'm 17, female. I can be immature, yet very mature. I'm not book smart, I just understand the common sense stuff, which comes off as "smart." I can't exactly explain it. Well, ever since I was about 11/12, people have always said "You're mature for your age." Even my humor is adult type of humor. I've always gotten along with people who are older than me. I kind of hate when people say this, I just smile. I mean, I guess it's a good thing to be seen as mature, right? All of them say "You obviously have your immature moments because you're still young, other than that you're mature for your age." Well, how am I supposed to respond? I used to say "Ha. Well, I try!" They'll reply "No, you are." What the heck am I supposed to say? Thank you?

Well, thanks in advance! (:

• L A
    Favorite Answer

Look at it as a compliment. Say "Thank you for your compliment" with a smile and you will make their statement even more true.

I've had to deal with that sort of thing my whole life. I've always been the mature one, but even though you do have immature moments, you still say "Thank you" to the person who said you're mature for your age. After all, it is a compliment. :) Like it is with any compliment, even if you don't think you measure up to it, always say "Thank you" anyway, otherwise it makes them feel dumb like they missed something or they don't know what they're talking about.

• DRE

Yeah its a good thing if your mature. When people say that to you, just simply say: "awe, thank you".

• Linda

You say the same thing you say when you receive any other compliment. - thank you. Period.

Say thanks, that will work if they are trying to put you down or compliment you, and seems like a compliment!

Exactly! You just say thank you! Lol! What else can you say?! :-D

I think you read to much into this.

"Thank you."