How to start potty training?

My niece is 1 1/2 years old. She knows when she goes to the bathroom to go get a diaper and lay down if you tell her to get a diaper. Today I taught her the word potty and took her into the bathroom and showed her the toilet. so you think she is too young? And what steps do we take to potty training her if we don't have a potty chair yet.

Favorite Answer

Until you're both confident that she knows _before_ she has to use the bathroom and can control it, you're still a long way off. Recognizing "hey, I'm peeing right now!" is a whole lot different from knowing "this funny feeling in my tummy means I have to pee and this feeling means I have to poop and this feeling means I ate too much and have a tummy ache."

some signs of her being ready are saying when shes going to the bathroom, knowing when she needs to be changed ...ect Every child is different she may be ready you'll never know until you try :) My daughter isnt even 16 months and shes gone potty 5 times :) good luck! i also suggest getting a little potty seat not one that goes on the big toilet. some kids are afraid of the real toilet. Good luck and make sure you praise her every time she goes!:)

Source(s): mom of a 16 month old

My son is the same age and we've put the potty out for him. He uses it in the morning and before bath time. We're not trying to get him to use it all the time but just to introduce it slowly. We'll start talking to him more about using the potty when he's about two.