could my fuel pump be bad?

I have a 1995 Chrysler LHS and it cranks fine but dies while I"m driving and then will crank back up after it sits for an hour or two.

Favorite Answer

It doesn't necessarily mean your fuel pump is bad. Although that could be the main factor, take into consideration that your fuel filter could have some particles clogging it, or bad gas in your tank.

• quirk

If it quits when you're driving and you try to crank it up again and it doesn't turn over at all and sounds like the battery is dead then it's probably you're fuel pump. The part would cost a little over a hundred for your type of car. It's not that easy to put in though. You have to take the gas tank off to do it.

Source(s): Personal experience-fuel pump went out in my Oldsmobile Alero (super expensive car when it comes to parts)
  • roger

yes it is possible, but personally before spending a nice piece of change on a fuel pump look for an inline filter and if it has not been changed I would change it first, just to see if its running any better than before.

If that does not help then it is likely the fuel pump, which I believe is in the top of the gas tank and you need to drop he tank

Low fuel rail pressure or a plugged fuel filter.

Source(s): Alignment, suspension and brake shop.

IT SOUNDS LIKE: A ELECTRICAL PART, THAT IS GETTING TOO HOT, AND THEN STOPS WORKING.

I DONT THINK THAT IT IS YOUR FUEL PUMP.

BUT IT MAY BE A ELECTRICAL PART, IN YOUR FUEL PUMP COMPONENT.

BUT, TRY EVERYTHING ELSE, FIRST. LOOK FOR ANY SLIGHTLY BURNED PARTS. ON THE ENGINE AND ON THE OTHER LINES.