Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 9 years ago

Denying a dorm room request, I feel so bad?

I'm still in the process of finding a roommate for college. This one girl requested me, but the thing is...we really don't have that much in common, even though she seems sort of nice. She is also a lesbian, which I am slightly uncomfortable with. How do I deny the request without being too mean? Do I message her, or just deny it? Please help as quickly as possible, thanks :)

Favorite Answer

Just tell her you have other requests to look over and that you'll get back to her on it. Don't burn your bridges too soon...she may be the only respondent you get...and you DO need a roommate.

• Note - Just because you don't think that you have a lot of things in common, is not a good reason why she can't be your dorm room mate. You may learn some things about her that you didn't know you liked and vice-versa. Too much of the same thing is boring.

Speak to the person in charge of assigning the dorms and tell him/her that you would like for someone else to share the room with.

• Don't Sugar Coat, Just Deny

Tell her not you don't think it is a good idea.

Don't feel bad. Your the one who have to live with this person so if you don't feel comfortable living with her then you can't change how you feel.

• BBG

Just say something like, "You're a good friend but I would drive you crazy as a roommate. Thanks for asking!"