Will the concentration of my degree matter when applying for jobs that require a science/math/technical degree?

I need to decide between a science concentration or a minor for my BS Mathematics degree.

The science concentration requires a year of general chemistry, a year of calculus-based physics, and a year of principles of biology OR a year of chemistry beyond general chem.

If I choose the path that requires a minor, then Asian studies or economics will be my minor because I already have credits that'll count towards both.

So, for jobs that will take an applicant with a mathematics degree, will having a BS Mathematics, science concentration, help me more than having a BS Mathematics w/ a minor in Economics?

I want to complete a social science or humanities minor because my writing needs all the improvement it can get, but I don't want my degree to be looked down on because I didn't take a lot of science courses. I've only taken a year of general chem as of right now.

What do you think?

What about when applying to applied math graduate programs?

Thanks.

• Mark M
    Favorite Answer

What is this guff about taking humanities courses to improve your writing? Take one technical writing class and be done with it. Humanities are fun, but they do not pay.

If you are interested in economics, you should take advanced statistics, which requires a year of engineering calculus.

What type of work do you wish to do after you graduate. Of your science classes, which ones did you enjoy the most, physics, chemistry, biology? If it was physics, I would recommend engineering, they pay better. For chemistry, try chemical engineering. If you hate all science, go for Mathematics with Economics. Asian studies is useless unless you learn a language, too much fun, not enough blood on the streets.

I knew a guy with a PHD in mathematics, he got a engineering degree first, so he would have something to fall back on.