Going through a breakup, first girlfriend after my divorce.....?

I was invited to spend Christmas at another friends Mothers house.

Here's the deal:

1. Her mother is an awful cook, I was there at Thanksgiving and have been there for other meals and she is just plan bad.

2. She is having over a group of about 6 other people, all of whom have weird dites and say things like, don't worry about me, I can just bring something for myself.

3. I'm quite a good cook and volunteered to cook for her. However, the voting on what to cook, bring etc... has become more trouble than it worth.

Is there a polite way of saying... This seems like it's going to be a massive pain in the *** and I may just stay home by myself?

Favorite Answer

Thank them for their offer and let them know you look forward to catching up with them sometime over the holidays.

You don't need to explain yourself.

Might be nice for you to learn what being alone for a while is. Live with yourself and be comfortable.

All of this above is ONLY if you have NOT already said you would cook- if you offered and they accepted, you need to show.

You are going have to remember that you are not married. You are not OBLIGATED to stay in any dating relationship. I would suggest that you start being honest with her. A little consideration would be good too (you are crapping on her Christmas 3..4 days before?) Decline dinner & formally break off on Boxing Day. That gives you both enough time to set up New Years apart.

Tell them you feel sick...stomach issues.

That is a realistic lie without having to say, "This seems like it's going to be a massive pain in the *** and I may just stay home by myself?"

Or, you could just suck it up and enjoy the fellowship of friends and loved ones (then enjoy your own meal later).

Good luck!

OMG yes, You're talking about my every freaking holiday at my in laws house. I'd rather stay home and eat a t.v. dinner than deal with the BS crap of eating a lousy meal and even lousier conversation. I have faked being sick to get out of going over there for a meal. I know, probably going to hell, but it was worth it to get out of going over there.

I'm quite a good cook and volunteered to cook for her.

You volunteered. You really want to start the relationship with breaking your word? Integrity.

just say

its really nice to be invited for christmas, but i'm afraid i need to decline your kind offer

that should suffice

but have an excuse on hand just in case, but dont volunteer it

they will hardly press you for an answer

but have one just in case

i would go with something like you have a buddy, not long divorced and he is having a hard time his 1st christmas without his children and you feel you need to be there for him

idk what the break up part is about

but regardless,

why don't you show up and cook anyway?

make it small and simple in case nobody is eating you're not wasting food and time to cook it LOL

it can even be a delicious 'I'm breaking up with you, your mom is a lousy cook and has 6 weird friends so I don't like you anymore' dish if you want it

whats this have to do with breaking up w ur girl?