What's the advantage of shooting in salvos?

In warfare, I do not understand why a commander would order his men to shoot in salvos. I'd say that the fast reloaders would be hold back. Another point is that the victims can anticipate by acting (e.g. moving) whilst the attackers reload and shielding when the attackers fire. The only advantages I can think of is that salvos are more orderly, and that the attackers aren't disturbing each other. Does anyone have an answer or more detailed information?

• Jon
    Favorite Answer

Context? If you're talking about infantry, there is no reason. Modern weapons eliminate the need for salvos, (unless you have next to no ammunition). If you're talking about artillery, than this can be used to fix the enemy into position and adjust fire before firing for effect. If you're talking about naval warfare, I honestly don't know how they do it these days.

Source(s): US Army

salvos are for large size cannons or ships rifles, where re-loading is time consuming. salvos in the infrantry has only been used for enemy charges where a large body of men are attacking. As rifles are automatic a large body of enemy may be stopped.

• Wraeth

Conservation of ammunition.

Source(s): US Army Scout

its only for you and should be learn more