M M asked in Cars & TransportationCar Audio · 9 years ago

whats a good crossover frequency setting for fullrange and midrange speakers?

Hey guys,

What is a good crossover frequency to have for 1 pair of full range, and 1 pair of mid range speakers. I have a subwoofer that is powered by a seperate amp. The amp I have for my speakers has a built in adjustable crossover, where I can select HP LP or off, and a frequency between something like 0-300... what would be a good start?

Favorite Answer

80's about the baseline, but that can vary quite a bit depending on the capability of both the speakers and the subs.

What I would do is set the x/o way high -- like 200hz or so. Then play some music at very high volume but not loud enough to hear any distortion. Then slowly turn the x/o down until the low frequency distortion becomes audible, and go back up a bit from that point.

That should give you a pretty good setting, at least a good starting point.

Given the backside frequency reaction of your audio gadget and crossover techniques your receiver promises, i might say the appropriate crossover ingredient may well be 150hz. putting your receiver at this ingredient to your small audio gadget might additionally reason your subwoofer to start taking on the accountability of the sound at 150hz and under. it is the utmost your sub needs crossover at, so it very practically coincides and is usable. THX continuously recommends 80hz, and a few human beings propose crossing the final/encompass audio gadget over greater than their reported frequency shrink off ingredient, yet on your case neither of those is a valuable option. attempt it out yet once you're no longer pleased with ways it sounds, consistent with possibility you ought to think of roughly making an investment in some greater greater bookshelf audio gadget. those tend to have frequency responses between 50hz and above, so might supply you greater flexibility.