Can samurai fight without a sword or any other weapon?

If a samurai had no choice but to fight without sword or any other weapon could they still fight?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The Samurai learned one or more style of Aiki-Jujutsu. People throw a lot of names around when talking about the Samurai. but Aiki-Jujutsu is a generic name for hundreds of different combat arts learned by the Samurai. Jujitsu came from Aiki-Jujutsu, but at a later on. Aikido also can tract its roots to Aiki-Jujutsu. Samurai had to be very proficient both unarmed and armed. Of course a Samurai would use his weapons first if they were available. But, if a weapon was not available, he was very capable of defending himself. Jujitsu is different from the Aiki-Jujutsu that samurai were taught in some ways. The Samurai must be able to fight while wearing the heavy armor they often wore in battle. As such they Aiki-Jujitsu was designed with this in mind. One term used to describe some styles of this combat with armor was Kumiuchi-Ryu. Jujitsu as I said developed out of the Aiki-Jujutsu styles from the Samurai era. It does not have the techniques used in Kumiuchi-Ryu since they are no longer needed. When people state that the Samurai used Jujitsu, that is not really correct, since Jujitsu basically was derived from Aiki-Jujitsu. but they are not exactly the same thing.

Source(s): Martial arts training and research over 44 years, (Since 1967) Teaching martial arts over 38 years, (Since 1973)
  • Uguisu
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

Samurai unarmed

Jujutsu is an option

No weapon needed.

Source(s): Bujinkan Ninpo Taijutsu http://ocbujinkan.com/
  • 5 years ago

I do kendo and i can tell you for a FACT that kendo is the absolute worst way to learn how to use a sword. If i were you i would do either japanese Jujitsu because they also do sword work in that or do karate and iaido. japanese dont mix things up like koreans. in korea they teach kendo and iaido together but in japan they seperate them, where kendo is the sport version and iaido is the martial art. so if you want to learn sword fighting do iaido and as far as a separate martial art do karate, kyokushin or okinawan. those are some real good styles of karate. but there are more. if you want you can try kempo, but its not traditional karate, it sort of a mix with kung fu. its not bad, but if you want something traditional then do kyokushin or shinto ryu, something like that.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

(Sorry my english bad am Japanese.) True Samurai still able fight, he use body or other thing like stick as weapon. True Samurai never give up.

Source(s): My grandfather is Samurai in own time.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jay
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

That is what Jujutsu is. There were some that trained in only Kenjutsu, but most all trained in at least both Kenjutsu and Jujutsu.

• Lex
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Oh yes. They were not people you wanted to mess with.

• 9 years ago

Yes they could, part of their training was hand-to-hand.

Source(s): my brain ;)
  • Kokoro
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

that is the purpose of jujutsu unarmed combat.

Source(s): 30yrs ma
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

if they know any martial arts that dont involve weapons

• 9 years ago

they created juijitsu dumbass so yes

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.