BUZZ asked in TravelCanadaOther - Canada · 8 years ago

Does Canada have dual citizenship ?

I'm a citizen of Nicaragua which is my birth place.

I'm a citizen of the USA by naturalization, by my dad. -USA has dual citizenship, meaning if I became a citizen here I would still keep my citizenship of my birthplace, Nicaragua.

Mine and my families dream has always been to move to Canada. We plan to visit there some day. Yes, I know that it's hard to get a visa cause millions of people have applied to go there already and many have been denied but we will try and we will hope that we will get to go. But my question is, how do you get a green card there and then years later apply for citizenship? This is an IF question, IF we were able to go there on a valid visa then try to become residents of Canada then years later citizens. And would we still get to keep our Citizenship from Nicaragua AND the USA if we become citizens of Canada?

• SteveN
    Favorite Answer

Canada does not require you to give up any other citizenships that you already have. You can be a citizen of USA and of Canada, or even have three citizenships. Here is a note from Canada's Immigration website: Under Canadian law, a Canadian is allowed to be a citizen of another country as well. Some countries, however, will not let you keep their citizenship if you become a Canadian citizen. The consulate or embassy of your other country of citizenship can let you know if this applies to you.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/citiz...

I should note that it is my understanding that Nicaraguans actually no longer allow dual citizenship in many cases. I read that Nicaraguans who voluntarily naturalize or apply for citizenship of another country through marriage automatically lose their Nicaraguan citizenship. Unfortunately, I cannot read Spanish well enough to search the Nicaraguan government websites for citizenship requirements.

As for the US Citizenship, the US Immigration website states that "...a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship." However, I should mention that I know many Canadians who are also US citizens, so this law may not be strictly enforced.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1...

In other words, if you CHOOSE to apply for Canadian citizenship, the US government can consider this as voluntarily giving up US citizenship. But Canada GRANTING you citizenship (even if you did not ask for it) does not make you lose citizenship.

The USA does not actually recognize dual citizenship but Nicaragua does. So does Canada.

Canada does not have "green cards" but other similar documents. You are correct that lots of people round the world would like to move to Canada (more than who wish to become Americans). Canada is currently more prosperous than the USA.

• Randy

Yes, Canada allows it's citizens to maintain duel citizenship. In fact, our previous Governor General (our Head of State) held duel citizenship with Haiti and Canada. She chose to renounce her Haitian citizenship when she took on the post of Governor General however there was no legal requirement for her to do so.

twin citizenships are frequently a count number of beginning; you're a citizen of united states of america A because of your ancestry or beginning circumstances, and of united states of america B for similar causes. in case you search for a citizenship you're not to any extent further entitled to as a birthright, you'll frequently ought to provide up the single(s) you presently ought to get it.

canada have sucks citizen is so bad for living move in USA and forget about Canada is cold nasty racism expensive country not happy people every where

Source(s): artist

Yes. My fiancee has both Canadian and US passports.

• Flying

RICHTENSTEINER