Did North Korean's really love Kim Jong-il?

Since Kim Jong-il's death, ive seen pics in the papers on North Korean's openly crying in the streets, both young and old. Did they truely love Kim Jong-il or are they doing that because they're afraid of being locked up if they dont?

Favorite Answer

Many do grieve his death and still many others have to appear to be grieving or else they will be severely punished.

• Todd

All the Koreans are weeping at the loss of Kim Il of course what they don't show, is the all you can eat buffet behind them, that they aren't allowed to eat at

Their ideology, Juche, means that they can't exit the country. They can't even get stuff from outside North Korea!

Every morning they "pray" to their first leader, Kim Il-Sung. They are bombed with propaganda. They cannot get out, atleast it's very hard and they risk getting executed for being "traitors".

Basically all they know is what they have. They look at their leader as "God", he gave them every thing. For most of them the rest of the world could be a flaming inferno for all they know.

If what represented everything you have ever known died, you'd be sad too.

EDIT:

I don't think they were threatened. As I said, "all they know" has died!

It is more of a culture than we outsiders think, North Korean is not the only country that cries when they lost their leader, some of African countries do, Most African countries cried when they lost leaders who brought their independence, like, when Jomo Kenyata and Julius Nyerere passed away most of people shed tears, It is always misleading to judge other cultures by using your own culture as a reference, might look weird to us, but it is normal for them, What we know about them comes from the media, yes I agrees that they had starvation, but the starvation was due to bad weather and economic sanctions, Is like taking the image of Katrina and portrayed to the rest of the world that America is neglecting its people.

I don't think people in that pic weren't threatened to act that way. But they was fooled to admired a leader as a god since they still were little children and many people act as what they learned from schooling. Not every people in North Korean belive that ****, but who don't belive so may have to leave their homeland, locked up, dead... That may be why they don't appear on that pic.

Isn't it amazing ? I guess its proof, the extreme, in ether scenario, be it Fascism, or Communism... Simply is no good... But with a sub machine gun pointed at those people, off screen... Or the treat of, being sent to one of they're prison work camps... Where its been reported, people starve to death, if not killed, for not being able to keep up, with the work... Makes me wonder, why the people in this country, are so eager, to fall in line with the Corporate Fascism... This country is living in....

Do really love your mom? I guess we will never know just by asking. especially because I doubt anyone who is going to answer is from north korea.We do know they were and still are force fed propaganda and taught he is the greatest human alive (when he was). If they have soldiers who have defected I'm sure the average citizen has to do everything to prove their loyalty. I know I would.

Source(s): Kita chosen
  • ?

of course not. The government forces them to act that way. If you look at those pictures closely, you'll notice there aren't any actual tears. Not to mention, the videos of them look like absolutely horrendous acting.

In fact, I think it's illegal not to mourn the death of the dictator in N. Korea. If you laugh or act any other way than sad, you die.

Why yes they did. So much so they forgot all about a rifle barrel at the back of their heads, and how families were sent off to re-education camps.

(FEMA has the same thing in America, so pay attention).

• Troy

Our government shouldn't deal in matters of the heart.

Now they cry. Next year it will be our turn to cry for more or less the same reasons.