Some good Progressive rock?

I'm looking for some new progressive rock to listen to. I don't care for bands pre 1995 or so, such as King Crimson and Dream Theater

The prog bands I like are:

The Dear Hunter (mainly Act III)

Circa Survive (mainly On Letting Go)

Tides of Man

Closure in Moscow

The Mars Volta

Much appreciation to anyone who can help me out.

Update:

Don't list bands from before the mid 90's, such as Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, etc.

Thanks.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Rush has been at it for quite a while and is still going strong...

Porcupine Tree is also pretty good.

Symphony X and Devin Townsend are great if you're looking for heavier stuff

• 9 years ago

I can't really suggest bands similar to the bands listed above, mainly because I don't really enjoy any of them. But, I am a prog freak and I'll try to recommend you some bands.

>> Transatlantic: supergroup formed in 2000 consisting of members from Spock's Beard, The Flower Kings, Dream Theater and Marillion.

--check out each of the above bands listed for some nice modern (but still old-ish - '85 on) prog.

>> Agents of Mercy

>> Wobbler

>> Arena

>> Ayreon

>> Guilt Machine

>> Star One

>> Abarax

>> Arch / Matheos

Onto just naming bands.

Beardfish, A Big Goodbye, Clive Nolan & Oliver Wakeman, Comedy of Errors, DeeExpus, Deluge Grander, Discipline, Erik Norlander, Frost*(Milliontown), GPS, Grails, Hasse Froberg and the Musical Companion, Ignatius, Iluvatar, Introitus, IQ, Kaipa, Karmakanic, Liquid Tension Experiment, Moon Safari, Neal Morse, Ozric Tentacles, Phideaux, Proto-Kaw, Rocket Scientists, RPWL, Steve Hillage, Subsignal, Therhythmisodd, Thieves' Kitchen, Time Requiem, Tinyfish, The Windmill.

WHEW. And that's just a few from my iPod. :l

ALSO, IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY, CHECK OUT FRANK ZAPPA. HE'S OLD BUT MADE FREAKING BRILLIANT (AND CRAZY) PROG.

Source(s): A sheep told me.
  • yes,

genesis,

porcupine tree,

pink floyd.....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.