Am I being rude, or are my friends?

Well I like to have long conversations with my friends. Lets say I have a long talk with a friend, and another friend interrupts me while I am talking with a different friend already. I turn around and say "Hi, hold on." to the person who is interrupting me. Then the friend that interrupts me says "Gosh, you are so rude!". I don't get how that is rude. Is it? But I am trying to talk with a friend that I was talking with before her!!. My friend was talking to me and my other friend interrupts.

I am asking this because it has been happening frequently with two of my friends. They always interrupt me. Interrupting is rude, I know that, but am I rude by saying "Wait a second!" or "Hold on just a minute!"?? If it is rude, how should I handle talking with one friend, and talking to the other, without making my friends angry and thinking I am rude?? If I am not rude, what should I say to them to tell them that they are the ones being rude?

I always have a nice tone in my voice by the way, unless someone doesn't have a nice tone with me or something upsets me. That is my strategy.

Thank you so much guys for your wonderful answers! I didn't expect to get that many answers, and all that aren't silly ones either. And Bernard yes my friends easily get offended, when some say that I do?? Maybe sometimes, but not as badly as them.

Favorite Answer

Technically it is not rude. However, it also depends on your tone of voice. So only you can answer that question. Also, if you think it is being a little rude then maybe you could say something like "Hold on once i finish with my friend then i'll talk to you." just let them know that they are important also and that once you are done then what they have to say is just as important as the other conversations you are having.

Interrupting is rude and just so annoying. Make sure you have a calm tone when telling them to wait a second... if you yell at them, you are being rude as well.

In my opinion no its not being rude, that is the kindest way of doing it! They should just appreciate the fact that you were talking to someone else before them ! Hope it helped

I don't think it is rude, but maybe it is how ou say it rather than what you say. Why not try 'Sorry no offence, but can you wait a minute' or something like that :)

when they walk up, say hi...how are you! I knw you wanna talk w/ _ but we're having a serious conversation & we're abt 2 wrap it up, do you mind givin us abt 5 mre mins, please?! Dnt say thanks, cuz then they'll thnk ur being smart...but I dont thnk ur being rude, saying wait a second kinda is, especially if you dont let them speak @ all.....or whn they walk up, offer them 2 engage n the conversation w/ you & ask their opinion on the conversation @ hand! Good luck.....!

No that's not rude. As long as you say it nicely and not like you are irritated, then it's not rude.

just my opinion:

if i tried to talk 2 som1 and they said 'wait a second!!' i would feel kinda bad. like, i h8 to be told that, so i kinda would feel subordinate( my vocab word!! (: ) and less important. i mean its important 4 u to finish talking and stuff but maybe u should say one second nicer. i mean, i would h8 to be shut down like that, even tho technically its not 'rude'

Depends on the culture, if someone is offended, then it's rude.

you definately arent being rude. maybe your saying it a bit too harsh or your friends get offended easily?

You left out please. If you don't want to be rude you say "Hold on, please".