Readers: do you prefer first person or third person in a story?

• jen
    Favorite Answer

Third.

I hate first person narratives because the writers will constantly write "I". Open up a Stephenie Meyer book and count the the Is on the page, I like her but so many Is. i really puts me off. There are exceptions to the rule- Elizabeth Kostova and Carlos Ruiz Zafon who manage not to use I- which is telling and not showing- and capture atmosphere and show tension etc instead.

That's the only reason I prefer a third person story really because first person is often written badly. I won't even attempt ot write first person myself, I'm no genuis. I think it's too easy to write in the first person and writers' tend ot say I all the time than it is to use third person. Third person they have to find effective ways to show a characters thoughts etc and can't fall back on I so it's often better to read even if they are badly written, I think

Source(s): compulsive reader and fussy

Third person is harder but better if you want to look at more than one POV. I find a lot of young or inexperienced writer's go with first because you get into the character quicker but i have only ever written one book in first person and tend to avoid books written that way. Then some people over do it with I this and I that but it really depends on the writer and how talented they. It's easier than first though. What you read has an impact as well i find lots of writers who read first person write that way.

Also the good thing about third is you can write in past or present or both but i know some people get muddled with that.

First

I like a third person view best.

Third person is more appealing to me, generally. I like it when you feel the attachment you’d feel towards the character in first, but it’s written in third person.

Also, the word 'I' is overused in first person, that can get a little dull after repeated so many times. It's a lot easier to be irritated by the MC when you're utterly and completely in their head, as well as the characters they like, especially their love interest(s).

Don't get me wrong, I have thoroughly enjoyed books written in first person. I'm not that fussy. Though I do have a favourite, it doesn't hinder me from reading any books written in first.

i admire the two yet i come across I savor first guy or woman lots greater. i'm getting greater in touch interior the story as a reader whilst its first guy or woman. That mentioned i understand many those that detest first guy or woman and could not study books written that way. So even however first guy or woman in my selection i might say greater readers like third guy or woman.

If it's a story taking place in modern times, I perfer first person, because I can relate to the characters better. If the story takes place in the past, future, or a made-up time (like in books like "Eragon," where there is no set time period), I perfer third person limited. (third person omniscent just bugs me)

• ?

It depends on my mood and what I'm in the mood for. Lately I've been mostly into reading third person cause the story that I'm writing is in third person so I decided that while I'm writing my story I would read stories written in third person.

Please help me with my question:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AirRl...

First- Its more personal

I much prefer third since it gives me a better perspective of all characters, not just the main character and their opinion of other characters.

It doesn't matter weather read in first or third person as long as the novel is good then it will be reet.