Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetOther - Computers · 9 years ago

Building A gaming computer?

Hey I'm mark and I want to make a gaming computer, I have NO idea on where to start but my step brother is going to help me out once I got all the parts I need. Now I only have a budget of $600 or so to make a good gaming computer from scratch. I need to know, What to get, Where to get it, And if it can run on windows 7 64-bit. And also could I take my current computers hard drive and move it into my new computer, it has 500gb of memory max.

Favorite Answer

My first gaming computer cost about $920, and it can still run just about everything on max settings. With hardware prices coming down so far, you could probably build an ok system for near $600, you just need to know where to get your parts. Having the hard drive already helps a lot. newegg.com has never done me wrong. Great prices and very well organized site with a trustworthy rating system. Click "shop all stores" and go into "computer hardware", then find all of the individual parts that you need.

To build a gaming computer you need the following:

Motherboard

Processor + heatsync

Power Supply

RAM

Hard Drive

Disk Drive

Graphics Card

Case

-I've built computers in the past around processors. For a Gaming computer I recommend at least a 3 core processor at 2.8ghz+. The processor and the graphics card are the two parts you should spend the most on. A processor will almost always come with a heat sync, but if you want to overclock your processor you may want to add a custom cooling unit (I do not generally recommend this). If you wish to run either mac or Linux on your computer along with windows, I recommend an Intel processor, but if you only want to run windows, I recommend AMD. The only real benefit you would have in spending more on an Intel would be compatibility with Unix based OSs, which are useless for gaming.

-Next, I find a motherboard that has the appropriate processor socket that lists support for your processor Wattage and type. There are usually too many components to a motherboard to be too specific, but just make sure it's compatible with what you need and has a good rating for its price.

- You may find a motherboard you like and choose RAM to go with it, or find RAM and choose a motherboard that is compatible with your processor. The higher the number of the ram's DDR, the faster it'll go. Standard at this point is now DDR3, but some computer run as fast as DDR5 or more. For a gaming computer I recommend no less than 6GB of RAM, but for most games RAM requirement is not very high.

- The Graphics card is the most crucial bottleneck of your gaming computer. They're very complicated and have many specs. You will probably spend more on the card than on your processor. My graphics card is 1GB 256bit DDR3 NVidia with 700MHz core clock speed and I'm able to run most new games on max graphics settings. Normally you can trust the reviews of how good a card is, but you'll generally get what you pay for. Just make sure you have the right PCI port to run the card you choose. Also make sure you get one with the outputs you need, HDMI, VGA, or DVI.

- Power supplies can be complicated, but newegg has a great feature that calculates the wattage you'll need for your computer. It's under "Computer Hardware", the last option on the far right, "Power Supply Wattage Calculator". Fill out the info, get your wattage, find a high rated power supply with that wattage. easy-peasy

- Don't spend too much on a case, just make sure your stuff will fit. parts are usually the right size, you just need the right number of ports for hard drives and disk drives. If you have an existing case you want to use, go for it.

- Get a disk drive, a burner might be nice, not a big deal.

- As far as the hard drive goes, just format the drive to wipe all the data and it shouldn't give you too many problems. You might have to find a SATA cable to hook it up to a new motherboard if you don't have one.

- Most new hardware will just run 64 bit by default, but you'll want to verify that your processor will run it. If it's 3 cores or more, it probably will.

Good luck!

well win 7 x64 home premium is about $105 from your budget... so it'll be a tight build. and you can hardly call it a gaming system. you'll need more funds first. surely your current system will last that long?

I kept using my 2001 Dell Dimension 4500 well into 2009 saving up and waiting for the best time to buy components.

fyi, from experience now is not a good time to buy components. there's usually a spring sale (president's day or something like that) that might have good deals, but the best deal you need to wait for Black Friday, since that's already past you need to hold on for another year.

the smaller your budget the harder it is to buy components. when I built my system on a $1000 budget I waited and waited for about 3 years. of course waiting isn't everything, by luck (lucky for me, not lucky for the 15,000,000 people that got laid off) I was able to purchase a (then) top-of-the-line Intel LGA1366 cpu and all the goodies that comes with that. the recession had just hit, 15 million were jobless in about 3 months, the 2008 holiday shopping season was practically non-existent, stores were overstocked and desperately needed to sell stuff. They priced stuff at unbeatable prices, even that there were only a trickle of shoppers. Due to the sales I was able to build an very high end PC for very little. At time of completion the full MSRP (also replacement cost) of my system was around $4500. Which I built for $1200, something like 66% savings. that's hard enough to do online, but buying locally from brick & mortar stores? its unthinkable.

since I bought stuff locally I shaved about $150 off shipping costs.

well here's what you need to research now:

what platform: Intel or AMD?

how much upgrade space you want? I can tell you for $495 ($105 is on the OS) there is no way you can build a decent system that's perfect at completion. you will probably get a strong mobo, CPU and power supply, and leave the rest for future upgrades. for small budget builds the ability to upgrade is important, as well as system's life.

how powerful? power isn't so mach as what games it can run, but it's value for the money spent. it makes no sense to build a crummy $500 system each year, it's better to build a strong system for $800 the first year and spend $150 each year on small upgrades, eventually retiring the system in like 5-8 years.

basically for small budget or limited budget builds I'd recommend getting the CPU, MOBO and PSU right the first time. a good purchase should last you at least 4-5 years. then you can salvage or use existing components for RAM, GPU, etc. these are low or medium cost upgradable components, you can get better stuff next year or when you have money saved up again.

that's how i built my rig.

My system has a design life to 2018. I made sure the components can be upgraded easily and without spending much time or money. the PSU has plenty of capacity, it can even support two nVidia GTX 590's and the Intel i7 990X cpu. so I doubt I'd ever need to replace that part. the Mobo sucks and that was a bad buy to begin with, but at least it works. the current CPU is solid, even if it's a bit old.

the case is an entry level gamer that's roomy enough for just about any kind of upgrades, I don't need to buy a new one like ever

Yes, you can use your old hard drive no your new computer.

600 dollars is plenty of money to build an amazing gaming computer. You just need to shop around.

Here is a gaming PC that can run any game you throw at it for only 600.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320799320046?ssPageName=ST...

Look at his parts that he used and search for them or similar ones on newegg. Newegg has great deals. You might also want to check out sights like amazon or tiger direct.

DO NOT CUT CORNERS ON THE GRAPHICS CARD

The graphics card is the heart and soul of any gaming computer. The graphics card should be at least 1gb and DDR5.

After you know what parts you use, send me a message with a list of them. I will help you out with compatibility and what not. There are plenty of guides online on the assembly. Best of luck.

The world of gaming is constantly changing. The internet is replete with articles and tips written by experts on gaming, benefits, and disadvantages, it is important to be informed parents and game players. Read up on games and learn how to choose games that are beneficial. Know what your child is doing at all times. Place your trust in your child but ensure that he or she is able to gauge accurately right from wrong. One of the biggest advantages the PC has over consoles right now is that there are a lot more games available for the PC than there are for consoles, particularly when it comes to multiplayer online games. Not only are the vast majority of MMOGs designed for the PC, but PC gamers also have the option to play MUDs, email games, browser games, and a wide variety of titles that are distributed digitally or available as free downloads.

• valry

six hundred money is an exceptionally less costly for a stable gaming workstation. i want to propose putting in those aspects: Intel I5 3770K Asus Sabertooth 990X motherboard And a stable pics card with a minimum of one million gig of memory I easily have an extremely gaming workstation, that's a dream device. It has an I7 and a set of alternative extremely intense high quality aspects, and it got here out at approximately 3122 money wish you get a stable one!

$600 is not exactly a good number to start with when it comes to building a gaming computer.

This guide just came out today and it is fantastic at giving you a relative idea of what different kinds of systems cost: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/guides/2011/12/ars-...

You can get close to a gaming computer for 600 but you have to sacrifice something. Good Luck.

Just make sure you spend a majority of the budget on a graphics card. An I5 should work fine.

CPU Intel Core i7-4770K $340

Motherboard ASUS Z87-Deluxe $280

Memory 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 1600MHz (2x8GB) $170

GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB /w ACX Cooler

$660

Case Corsair Graphite Series 600T $154

Boot Drive Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD $225

Storage Drive Western Digital Caviar Black 3TB HDD $222

Optical Drive OEM DVD Drive or OEM Blu Ray Drive $22

PSU Corsair Professional Series AX850 $197

CPU Cooler Corsair H100i $100

OS Windows 7 64-bit or Windows 8 64-bit $90

Total $2460

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)

CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220 55.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($149.99 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($198.49 @ Newegg)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($134.99 @ NCIX US)

Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($164.99 @ NCIX US)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($85.99 @ NCIX US)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($676.13 @ Newegg)

Case: NZXT Switch 810 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($152.95 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($166.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.98 @ Outlet PC)

Total: $1989.48

$600 will not be enough to make a decent gaming computer you will have to at lease spend near $1000