Are Christians becoming Pagans?

Jesus lived on earth for 33 years and no one ever celebrated his birthday, why?because Pagans celebrated birthdays.

(Genesis 40:20) Now on the third day it turned out to be Phar′aoh’s birthday, and he proceeded to make a feast for all his servants and to lift up the head of the chief of the cupbearers and the head of the chief of the bakers in the midst of his servants.

(Matthew 14:6) But when Herod’s birthday was being celebrated the daughter of Hero′dias danced at it and pleased Herod so much

Update:

'Originally the idea [of birthday greetings and wishes for happiness] was rooted in magic. The working of spells for good and evil is the chief usage of witchcraft. One is especially susceptible to such spells on his birthday, as one's personal spirits are about at that time. Dreams dreamed on the birthday eve should be remembered, for they are predictions of the future brought by the guardian spirits which hover over one's bed on the birthday eve. Birthday greetings have power for good or ill because one is closer to the spirit world on this day. Good wishes bring good fortune, but the reverse is also true, so one should avoid enemies on one's birthday and be surrounded only by well-wishers. 'Happy birthday' and 'Many happy returns of the day' are the traditional greetings' (The Lore of Birthdays, Linton, p. 20)...

The giving of birthday gifts is a custom associated with the offering of sacrifices to pagan gods on their birthdays. Certainly the cu

Update 2:

'Originally the idea [of birthday greetings and wishes for happiness] was rooted in magic. The working of spells for good and evil is the chief usage of witchcraft. One is especially susceptible to such spells on his birthday, as one's personal spirits are about at that time. Dreams dreamed on the birthday eve should be remembered, for they are predictions of the future brought by the guardian spirits which hover over one's bed on the birthday eve. Birthday greetings have power for good or ill because one is closer to the spirit world on this day. Good wishes bring good fortune, but the reverse is also true, so one should avoid enemies on one's birthday and be surrounded only by well-wishers. 'Happy birthday' and 'Many happy returns of the day' are the traditional greetings' (The Lore of Birthdays, Linton, p. 20)...

The giving of birthday gifts is a custom associated with the offering of sacrifices to pagan gods on their birthdays. Certainly the cu

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Well, let's see if THIS time, I get this sent over to answers.

You are right, but Christianity teaches that there is an adversary, the devil.

Isn't this a good plan he had, then? Dilute it, mix it, and then, Ahhh...change it,

change into worship of himself.

This will be the ultimate plan, the ultimate purpose of this.

I think of the scripture that 'God turns curses into blessings', so I go and

sing Christmas Carols, and love the MESSAGE, forget it's the wrong time.

I suppose in the mixed up thinking, the gifts are reminiscent of the wise men.

And yes, it is worldly, pagan, wrong.

And think of the economy! Those 'kids' aren't drawing closer to Jesus in any

of that. It is lust, that simple.

But the 'god of this world' has been at this change now for a long time.

Look up Francis MacNutt's book which is excellent to show the church

history of how step by step all the power of Christianity was (almost) removed.

Mostly it has also. But the bible does predict this.

And when you do walk in the light, to quote someone who e-mailed me,

you usually are 'shunned' even when on topic, with agape love of Christ.

So, yes, you feel it, and yes, there's a price. Life is worth it...for me.

There's a zing to when I 'lose my life for Jesus' sake' as these Q's

often allow, and in 'real life' also.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

Building worship on the backs of older pagan rites, was a strategy used by the new church.

It worked and the gradual process of blending the two Christianity and some beliefs from pagan days really made the transition easier.

As the Christian religion grew and it became a part of the ruling community, the common people had no choice if they wished to live they became Christian.

So the Church simply renamed the holidays. Built its Church's over pagan temples, and in a few generation no one remembered the old holidays.

Most celebrations such as birthdays are very old customs, it doesn't make a person pagan. It doesn't constitute a sin, or is it anything but a time to be grateful for another year of life.

• 4 years ago

Sunshine. I'n each and all the various years i've got practiced as a Wiccan I actual have under no circumstances ever heard of every physique asserting this sort of ingredient. i'm confident there are some athiest pagans, i can't think of how that should probably artwork, yet maximum folk of practising Pagans maximum quite do have self belief in Diety, or dieties. some, like the Asatruuar, have an entire pantheon. i stumbled on Wicca very freeing, yet over the years of analyzing Buddhism i stumbled on it to be a organic progression from the Craft. yet that's purely me. Your religious mileage would variety.

• 7 years ago

Dear Friend,

I agree with you about Jesus' birthday being celebrated as being paganistic. After all, if it's His birthday, what does He get for gifts? And not only that, what are unbelievers doing celebrating a CHRISTian holiday for? Blasphemy!

Only a Holy God can institute "holy" days; not man. The only true holy day that should be celebrated in rememberance of Christ is...Passover. For if it wasn't for the Passover Lamb, we would all be sent to ...hell.

However, Job celebrated his children's birthdays and he was NOT a pagan. He was found to be a righteous man in the site of almighty God.

There is nothing wrong with God's creation celebrating each others birthdays, but we are NOT to be "conformed" to the ways of THIS world.

Either we look "like", act "like" Christ, or we look "like", act "like" the ...WORLD.

Blessings,

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

(1) Your proof suffers from a severe logic error

"Pagans celebrate Birthdays" in no ways leads to the conclusion "non-Pagan's don't celebrate Birthdays"

If it did,

we could say

"Pagans eat" therefore "Christians should not eat"

(2) Your second proof also suffers from factual error.

Herod was not a Pagan. He was a Jew. He was not a good Jew. But he was a Jew.

And, more importantly, he was king of Israel who kept apearances of religiousness (this is why he spent oodles of money decorating the temple in Jerusalem) - and therefore, the fact that he had a formal court celebration of his birthday makes it likely that at that time it was considered apropriate in Jewish society (including presumably Jesus' family) to celebrate birthdays.

• 9 years ago

So pagans get to celebrate the birth of their children, but Christians are supposed to ignore the birthdate of our children? Why? The fact that pagans did something doesn't make it a "pagan practice". Pagans drank water too. Does that mean Christians shouldn't drink water?

• 9 years ago

Grace unto you, and peace,

from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

PLURAL "Christians" are not singular "Christian",

as contrary "scriptures" are not "the script-u-are",

and as "twoedged sword" isn't "sword of the Spirit".

A Jesus-ian is also not a Christ-ian,

as 'arnion' Lamb isn't the 'amnos' Lamb "of God",

as 'strepho' converted isn't 'epistrepho' converted,

as back-ward law<--BC isn't AD-->for-ward grace,

as back-ward EVOLution isn't the for-ward LOVE.

Jesus both lived + died, notably because

he preached both salvation + destruction.

So let us have only salvation, not destruction;

For as Jude notes: saved + destroyed ends bad.

So let's put away

the cloudy two Sons Jesus = division, not peace,

for sunny one Son Christ = peace, not dividead.

For a mediator (Jesus) is not of one, but God is one;

And God is not the author of con-fusion, but of peace.

The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ with you all. Amen.

• 9 years ago

Note that at the time of Jesus there were no christians but gentiles.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Pagans became Christians.......As for Christians becoming Pagans that remains to be seen.

• MDez
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

jesus realized that people have only one birthday, so he abolished the celebration of birth anniversaries whilst young, to avoid future debauchery.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.