'Best if used by' vs. 'Expires by'...?

I'm making a family dinner tonight (which is suppose to be special because i'm a teenager :D),

And I decided to make a box of Tuna Helper (it's hamburger helper, but with tuna instead), and I realized on the box it said it was 'Best if used by February 2011'. Does that means it's gone bad? It doesn't say 'expired by'. None of the packages inside have been open, and you have to use fresh tuna anyway (it doesn't come in the box), so could I still make it without giving food poisoning to my entire family? The only packages of food inside the box are a broccoli sauce mixture/powder, and noodles...so should I make this, or do something else?

Best Answer

It means that the flavors will be best if used before Feb 2011. However in the real world things like that last much longer.

Open the package and take a sniff. If the pasta smells fine, it will be fine. Look for bugs(which can happen long BEFORE and date).It may smell old or stale. if you aren't sure, then its fine as an old or stale smell is very noticeable.

It wouldn't spoil to make anyone sick anyway. Its all dry product and only would be damaged and moldy or nasty if it got wet. I recently had a package of Wylers dry soup and as I was eating it, I looked on the box and realized it was over 3 years past the best by date. It tasted fine.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

'Best if used by' vs. 'Expires by'...?

And I decided to make a box of Tuna Helper (it's hamburger helper, but with tuna instead), and I realized on the box it said it was 'Best if used by February 2011'. Does that means...

Source(s): 39 39 39 expires 39: https://biturl.im/EAdUv
  • RoyS

There is not a single product on the market with an 'Expires By' date; they are ALL 'Sell By', or 'Best By' dates. NO ONE can predict when a product will 'go bad', so no date is 'Expires By'. Tuna Helper is all dry ingredients, and it will be usable for years beyond the 'magic date', as long as it hasn't been exposed to moisture or bugs in the inside packaging.

On most things, a "best by" date means exactly what it sounds like. Its going to taste best if used by whatever date it says. And the "expires by" date is when it goes bad and should not be used. If the packages have not been opened they should be fine. So, I wouldn't worry about it!

• palasz

Best If Used By

A"best before" date means that after the date, the product may lose some nutritional and/or flavour quality, but it is safe to consume.

Products labelled with a "use by" date however, are not safe to consume after its date.

• Joan

Try first with LIVE UP-DATE , if doesn`t work you have to delete the old one and reinstall a new one

'Best if used by' = 'Expires by'. The wording is simply different. You may not give your family food poisoning, but if it states it's best before that date then yes it has expired.

expires

It will be ok.