Have I taken too much amoxicillin?

I've been having some tooth problems, but haven't yet had my wisdom teeth removed (don't worry, I will soon). But, over the past 6 months, my dentist has prescribed me a bottle of amoxicillin on 3 separate occasions (to deal with infections).

The first time, it worked great - and quickly . Second time, same. Now I'm on my third time in the past 6 months, and its noticably not working as fast. It still works, but has taken longer.

So my question: Have I taken too much (overall)? Is it possible that my body has developed an immunity to the medicine? A) Am I in any danger, and B) have I renderred amoxicillin useless for the rest of my life?

SPECS: I'm taking 500mg capsules, 4 times a day, for a week. That's been the prescription each time. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

You do not develop an immunity to antibiotics but you can develop bacteria that are resistant to the medication. This may be happening with the ones causing your toothache OR its just that the damage is getting too severe for antibiotics alone and you need them out. Just because one set of bacteria become immune to the antibiotic does not mean its is useless for you.

Source(s): ER PA