Should I file my 2008 and 2009 taxes or not?

So I am 20 yrs old and I have never filed my taxes. I have been working since I was 16. I have a friend who is going to show me how to file on-line for my 2010 taxes and I know I will be filing my 2011 taxes in Feb of 2012. However, I am unsure whether or not my taxes ever got filed for 2008 or 2009 or not due to I am not on speaking terms with my parents. I do not believe they did file for me as I believe they have never filed taxes themselves. SO my question is should I file m 2008 and 2009 taxes or not? If I should then what would be the best web site to use? To file my 2010 and 2011 taxes I am going to use the website as that is the web site that he has been using for years and loves it. Thanks in advance for your help. serious answers only.

4 Answers

  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    IF your parents had the "right" to claim your exemption in 2008 and 2009 then you are not allowed to claim your own personal exemption EVEN IF THEY FAILED TO CLAIM IT. That's right. It's stupid, but it's one of the idiosyncracies of tax law. Even if they didn't file a tax return and claim your exemption - but they had to right to - then the law says that you can't claim the exemption yourself.

    If you were a client what we would do is to obtain a "transcript" from the IRS to determine if you had a filing requirement. If so then we would likely file a tax return for you and claim your personal exemption. IF you got the 'nasty-gram' back from the IRS saying that your exemption had already been claimed then, FINE, we would accept their figures. If you didn't get the letter we would count ourselves as lucky and go on.

    The others are correct that you will NOT be able to file the 2008, 2009 or the 2010 returns ONLINE. The only return you can file electronically is the CURRENT YEAR return. Since the deadline for filing 2010 returns expired on October 17th then the current year is now the upcoming tax year (2011).

    Although you COULD use one of the "Free File" methods off the IRS website the problem with that method is the same as if you purchase individual tax software for your own computer. It doesn't do you much good if you don't know a whit about U.S. Taxation. What would be better is to find someone who DOES know a lot about U.S. Taxation to give you a hand. The IRS sponsors Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites all across the nation. These are folks that are trained by the IRS on preparing basic tax returns. There are some qualifiers but I don't think you'll have much trouble in that area.

    An even better method is to visit an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center near you and have an IRS employee assist you in preparing your tax return for no cost. Click the link below to visit their zip-code searchable database.


    Mike Womack, Sr. Partner

    Zero Degrees Tax LLP

    Moore, OK

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    Your friend isn't going to be able to show you how to file on-line for 2010--that system was shut down in October. Your friend can help you fill out the forms by hand.

    As for filing, why pay. You can get the forms for free at Even efiling is free through the IRS website.

    For 2008 and 2009, go to and download form 4506-T. Request your income information, a copy of your tax account and a copy of your tax return. If they don't exist, they'll tell you. The deadline for filing for 2008 if you have refund is 4/15/2012.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

    The IRS runs a calculation on people who do no longer record. If his earnings became into decrease than the submitting requirement or could have been a refund if filed as single, no deductions/credit/dependents, then the IRS will enable the 2009 refund pass out jointly as the 2008 return is being processed.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • tro
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

    you cannot file on line or 2010, any past unfiled returns will be manually

    first of all it might be wise to get transcripts of your account for 2008 and 2009, on form 4506 T

    this will indicate the status of your account, what income you had etc

    and depending on your status in 2008 and 2009 whether your parents could even claim you

    that would be that you were attending full time school 5 months of the year, they provided more than 50% of your support, you lived in their household 6months(even if you were away at school)

    you can go to and find forms, and you can find previous years' forms as well, find 1040EZ and it will show you your standard deduction(and personal exemption) which would indicate non taxable

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.