What could the confederate flag stand for other than blatant racism?

Favorite Answer

It is a racist symbol. Those that are "proud" of their southern heritage should look back at what they claim to be proud of. This was a feudal system were the land owner was in power. The workers, tenant farmers, paid workers, slaves, and in many cases, the store keepers in adjacent towns were beholden to the land owner. He virtually, had the power of life and death, over the population in his area. All were extremely poor, and dependent on the land owner. Laws were virtually non-existent, with the land owner's will trumping any written law. This was the worst kind of abuse of power, in the history of the US. These people had women for playthings. Men watched as their daughters and wives pleasured these people. The southern people didn't have back bone enough to stand up to these despots. And this is what they are proud of!! Racism was just one part of it. Any one that flys that flag must be considered ignorant and/or really evil.

Source(s): Survived 7 years in Ft. Mill SC
  • spotty

The Civil War was as much about State's rights as slavery, or the right of an individual state to allow the ownership of slaves. I think in many people's minds the confederate flag represents not a desire to again own slaves, but a longing for a time when the federal government played a smaller roll in the states' affairs and in their personal lives.

It is only a piece of cloth. Only people can practice racism (white supremacy). You don't have to pledge any allegiance to a piece of cloth. A piece of cloth doesn't represent racism. Only racism represents racism.

If you are asked to pledge allegiance to a piece of cloth try this on for size:

"I do at all times relate to the flag in the same way that the flag relates to me."

Now...if someone wants to ask you the only logical question that makes sense about your flag pledge it could be as such..."How does the flag relate to you?".

Then you can reply as such..."I don't know but you can ask the flag."

Works like magic.

The Confederate States of America, a failed state.

• Philo

It could stand for the South and the agricultural way of living, as opposed to the rushed Northern industrialization.

Southern pride

Source(s): I live in Louisiana and have a reblel flag and an American flag hanging off the back of my jeep
  • Jo Han

It could represent one's history and heritage. The Duke boys had one on their car and they weren't racist.