Do you understand the meaning of Deuteronomy 22:5 (About not wearing clothing of the opposite sex)?

Deuteronomy 22:5, NKJV says:

"“A woman shall not wear anything that pertains to a man, nor shall a man put on a woman’s garment, for all who do so are an abomination to the LORD your God."

Some professed Christians apply this text to women wearing pants saying that it is a wrong practice, period (i.e. women should NEVER wear pants).

Assuming, for the sake of this question, that the above scripture still applies today, I have two questions that may help to shed some light on what the scripture does and does not mean:

1. Would it be OK for a man to wear pants identical to the one shown in this link and why do you so answer?:

http://seseo.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/loose-pan...

2. Would it have been OK for an ancient Israelite woman to wear a dress... hmm hmm...I mean a garment identical to those worn by the ancient Israelite work-men in this link and why do you so answer?:

http://oneyearbibleimages.com/josiah_.jpg

Do you understand what Deuteronomy 22:5 is and is not saying?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Elijah
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

When this law was given, both men and women wore robes. Yet there was a difference with the style of the robes. It is similar today. There are men's pants and there are women's pants.

The *principle* of the law at Deut. 22:5 was for a man to WANT to look like a man and for a woman to WANT to look like a woman. An example has been given that if a woman were to put on a worn-out pair of her husband’s trousers to do a job around the house she wouldn't be going against the evident purpose of the law, namely, to prevent confusion of sexual identity and sexual abuses.

But even though the law itself is no longer binding since it is from the Mosaic law and Christians today are no longer under the Mosaic law, the same *principle* mentioned above still stands today.

Additional Reading:

11/2/72 Watchtower, Questions from Readers

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.