Is it too late to study this?

My current major is Human Nutrition but my real dream is to become an OB/GYN. I'm a sophomore in college. I go to a 2 year community college and will transfer next year to another university but....is it too late for me to study obstetrics and gynecology? I mean most people i know that are studying to be doctors usually begin since their freshman year in a pre-med program. Do y'all know anything about that? Do you have to be a freshman to start that? And also, do you need to have a lot of money to go to medical school? Is it hard to get into medical school? I hear not everyone's cut out for it. I know, too many questions, it's just I've been thinking about this a lot and I wanna be sure I study what I really want, but what if I really can't? I would really appreciate some answers here. I'm lost.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

You may want to visit this link to learn more:

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos074.htm

Obstetricians and gynecologists (OB/GYNs) specialize in women's health. They are responsible for women's general medical care, and they also provide care related to pregnancy and the reproductive system. Like general practitioners, OB/GYNs attempt to prevent, diagnose, and treat general health problems, but they focus on ailments specific to the female anatomy, such as cancers of the breast or cervix, urinary tract and pelvic disorders, and hormonal disorders. OB/GYNs also specialize in childbirth, which includes treating and counseling women throughout their pregnancy, from giving prenatal diagnoses to assisting with delivery and providing postpartum care

Education and training. Formal education and training requirements for physicians are among the most demanding of any occupation—4 years of undergraduate school, 4 years of medical school, and 3 to 8 years of internship and residency, depending on the specialty selected. A few medical schools offer combined undergraduate and medical school programs that last 6 or 7 years rather than the customary 8 years.

Premedical students must complete undergraduate work in physics, biology, mathematics, English, and inorganic and organic chemistry. Students also take courses in the humanities and the social sciences. Some students volunteer at local hospitals or clinics to gain practical experience in the health professions.

The minimum educational requirement for entry into medical school is 3 years of college; most applicants, however, have at least a bachelor's degree, and many have advanced degrees. In 2008, there were 129 medical schools accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME). The LCME is the national accrediting body for M.D. medical education programs. The American Osteopathic Association accredits schools that award a D.O. degree; there were 25 schools accredited in 31 locations in 2008.

Acceptance to medical school is highly competitive. Most applicants must submit transcripts, scores from the Medical College Admission Test, and letters of recommendation. Schools also consider an applicant's character, personality, leadership qualities, and participation in extracurricular activities. Most schools require an interview with members of the admissions committee.

Students spend most of the first 2 years of medical school in laboratories and classrooms, taking courses such as anatomy, biochemistry, physiology, pharmacology, psychology, microbiology, pathology, medical ethics, and laws governing medicine. They also learn to take medical histories, examine patients, and diagnose illnesses. During their last 2 years, students work with patients under the supervision of experienced physicians in hospitals and clinics, learning acute, chronic, preventive, and rehabilitative care. Through rotations in internal medicine, family practice, obstetrics and gynecology, pediatrics, psychiatry, and surgery, they gain experience in the diagnosis and treatment of illness.

Following medical school, almost all M.D.s enter a residency—graduate medical education in a specialty that takes the form of paid on-the-job training, usually in a hospital. Most D.O.s serve a 12-month rotating internship after graduation and before entering a residency, which may last 2 to 6 years.

A physician's training is costly. According to the Association of American Medical Colleges, in 2007 85 percent of public medical school graduates and 86 percent of private medical school graduates were in debt for educational expenses.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

It's not too late to study Ob/Gyn courses,

that fact may reach your Goal and fulfill your dream satisfaction.

So try it. to become Ob/gyn.

• hone
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

It soo completely isn't. From actress to actress, age isn't something. in comparison to with dancing. yet only follow it. you will not get each and every function you are trying for. Pursuing performing ability getting used to that, so only confirm to not provide up after not being forged. you likely want to take uncomplicated performing classes, and then try diverse different training (which includes improv, singing, musicals, digital camera performing, and so on.) to come back to a determination the place you want to pass in the theater. the place do you pass? in case you come back to a determination to start up performing, that's recommended to pass faculties. UCLA, USC, and Yale are nicely-usual theater faculties, yet look for something closer to the place you reside, or maybe talk with the dean at your college to work out in case you are able to pass. that is worth it in case you want to verify performing. stable success! i've got faith in some years i would be waiting in line to get your autograph and you will not undergo in ideas this and you will think of i'm some loopy stalker fan who thinks she helped you. only confirm to maintain working and you'd be so extraordinary!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.