Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Dining OutFast Food · 8 years ago

Why do people look down at mcdonalds employees?

I am a manager at Mcdonalds, i have been working there for three years. Customers, friends, and family look down at me because I work in mcdonalds! I had a customer today who said I have no life because I only work in mcdonalds!! it happens every time when i have to work most of the customers are rude to us. when people in college ask me where I work as soon as I tell them Mcdonalds they start making fun of me, they think I am not cool, and they look down at me! I am so depressed honestly, it is soo anyoying! I mean i go to college full time and I am working full time, why people have no respect for mcdonalds employees? I know rude customers are in every job, but it happens a lot to mcdonalds emplpyees and it is obvious!!!! They look down at us thinking we're stupid and less than them!! It is not my fault that I was born poor and I have to work! at least I have a job :(

Favorite Answer

At least you have a job and are not on welfare! I never understood why people

Did that either. When they say something to you about it just smile and walk away

if they think, that they are not getting to you maybe they will stop. On a brighter note,

You are going to college to move up in the world, and because of the idiots that make fun of you

now, it makes you stronger and want to work harder for your degree! And from the bottom of my

heart, GOOD LUCK!

There is a stigma with working at McDonalds that its just a joke of a job you do when you're a kid. But the reality is some people make money to support their family or themselves in college. You just need to ignore it and keep the big picture in mind. There are a lot of people born into a poor family who complain about it for their whole life as being the reason they couldn't get ahead in life. What you're doing is working hard at a job and doing your thing in school. It will pay off once you graduate and can get another job OR continue at McDonalds and make a career out of it. Most people don't realize that there are positions available to loyal employees in the corporate offices which lead into different business fields and eventually can land them top jobs in the company or another.

Don't worry about it, do you really believe your peers working at American Eagle are cooler? Fact is they make less an hour than you and need to spend x% of their pay cheque to buy clothes for work.

• Tommy

Because there is a stigma attached to the fast food industry. Think about when you were a teenager. What did you think about those that took your order? Was it common for those employees to be known gang members. Or maybe even a pot head that could not do anything else. Honestly you see me at your drive thru. My truck is 15 years old, not washed, and the air condition compressor screaming because it has been dying a slow death the past 3 years. And who am I. I am the guy that works a rotational shift 12 and a half hour job. I am the one that helps when I can. Even if I don't know you. So hold your head high, get your diploma, and show the world who you truely are.

Source(s): Life, lust, death.
  • Angela

They are jealous because you ARE a Manager (and they are not?) and it is irrelevant where you work.

Unfortunately, the stereotypical customer for fast food giants and not just McDonalds, are greedy, uncaring and want everything NOW! You just do what you can and work hard but take great care of your health and welfare. You have a secure job and going to college - that is a fantastic achievement.

You working as a good Manager, for very demanding customers, have done very well because this will look great on your CV/Resume for future jobs. It proves you are hard working, efficient and good customer services .

You are young and this will not be your only job. Your friends can only see in front of their noses and not beyond.

You have done very well and if you are treated fairly by your employer, then don't worry about your jealous friends remarks.

Customers are customers - believe me - they are all mostly greedy, demanding, boorish where ever you go and your friends will find this when they work and if they ever become Managers!

"He who laughs first, laughs last!" - from my experience - very true!

Because some people are rude...or maybe some expect better...but I think that most of the people who look down on McDonald's employees are less fortunate.

I am a former chef, I worked all over the world, and for some reason people have a distane for restaurant and other service workers, like they cannot get a better job, were so desperate to work they lowered themselves to working in this trade, whether a full service, high end, family establishment or fast food operation it all the same, plus people still have the enslavement attitude, if I am paying for something you the server/clerk have to bend over backwards to please me, or I will complain or go somewhere else were they will kiss my feet for my business, so it is like that all over, not many people would treat there doctor, police officer or employer the way they do a cashier at McDonald's or any other service opportunity situation

It's stereotyping actually, working in the fast food business makes you a target fro ridicule because people think you must have failed school and many other meaningless stupidity they have in their minds.They like to think they are better than you because you are serving them and getting their food.

I read posts about teenagers saying that when they failed their math test their teacher handed them the paper with an application to work in Burger King...see what I'm saying?

Sadly, they all think that this is a job for those that wont be going anywhere soon. But you said you are working to pay for college and I want to tell you that what you are doing is great! keep doing your job until you finish college then they wont be able to look down on you.

People that look down on others are dirt. Don't be bothered with what they are saying about you.

People tend to want to call it jelaousy, but I don't think that is the case most of the time.

Some people are like that unfortunitely, I think it's common to make jokes about working at McDonalds, fetching fries for people without actually considering that there is a human behind the register.

It is easy to dehumanize people, unfortunitely. And many people just lack manners and common sense.

Personally I have about zero respect for a person who makes negative remarks on people because of their job. If a person has a job, people should be grateful.

As for you getting sad about it, it's really terrible, I just want you to know that they are clearly wrong in what they are doing.

Just imagine yourself in their shoes, would you ever, regardless of where you were in life go into a restaurant and tell one of the HUMANBEINGS working there that they had no life? Wouldn't you feel like a real loser if you did such a thing? Apply it to the person doing it.

It is rude, obnoxious and silly.

Just tell them something like "I am paying my taxes, contributing to society. You are either just like me or unlike me, living off the charities of others. In either case, you are in no place to judge. Please behave like a decent citizen and show me the same respect I am showing you."

Or something like that.

I guess it is hard to argue, either they will realise their mistake and be ashamed, or their head is so thick and full of poop that they will try to insult you, either way, they are wrong.

I think it's because McDonald's food is seen as "joke food", it's pretty much the lowest form of food you can get, even if it is delicioius, people just know how bad it is. Also, the mascot is a ******* clown, and a significant amount of the menu is aimed at kids, which just compounds things. It just seems like it's not a serious restaurant to me.

People from, say, subway, do essentially the same job and don't have the same negativity attached to it.

Their the customer, and they're spending money. You are the restaurant's representative. The customer autmatically, naturally by human nature, attacks the rep before anyone else. That's why if you are a waiter/waitress at a restaurant and the food is bad, they complain at you. They can't see the people who made the food, nor the owners of the restaurant, they can only see you. In this case, you are representing every part of the business, and you will get everything against it in return.