GunGun asked in 社會與文化語言 · 9 years ago

幾個英文小問題~~~15點^^

I started out as a copywriter and,you know,move up the agency ladder.None of this was really planned.

本句有兩個問題

第一.前面既然是started out~and後面的move不用+ed嗎?

第二.None of this中的this是否應改為複數these???

2.I think what you have to do as a CEO is be in touch with the people.

為什麼這邊is後面又加be呢?請幫忙解析一下句構~~@@"

3.gonna跟gotta的用法是???

4.Kind of tell me how did that unfold to you?

這是一句完整的問句

不過~~不懂為什麼開頭要用kind of??

重新發問~~又增加了5點~~請各位大大不辭辛勞幫我解答一下~~萬分感激!^^

Rating
    Favorite Answer

1.

If the sentence is written the way you have written above, then YES your saying about "move" and "this" is ALL correct. In the sentence "you know" is redundant, and can be confusing. Hence we can rewrite the sentence as"

I started out as copywriter and moved up the agency ladder. None of these was really planned.

2.

I think what you have to do as a CEO is be in touch with the people.

It should be "is to be". The entire sentence has

one small noun clause: what you have to do as a CEO

one adjective phrase: to be in touch with the people

one big noun clause: what you have to do as a CEO is to be in touch

with the people

The small clause is used as a subject for the big noun clause, and the adjective phrase is used to describe the small clause, "is" is the verb to connect the small clause and the phrase and form the big noun clause.

The big noun clause is used as an object for think.

3.

gonna跟gotta的用法是???

"gonna" is the short form for "going to". You need a "be" verb in front of it, and a "V" (original form of a verb) after it. For example:

We are gonna see a movie this afternoon.

"gotta" is the short form for "got to". You need to have a "subject" in front of it, and a "V" after it. For example:

You gotta keep practicing your English before you can get better.

There is another one that is similar to these two; "wanna" (want to).

4.

Kind of tell me how did that unfold to you?

Yes, "how did that unfold to you?" is already a complete question. The reason people add "kind of tell me" is to be more polite in a softer sense. It is like "Could you tell me", but it is even softer than that. "Kind of" here means "give me a little about". Sometimes, people replace it with "sort of". In a word, instead of asking people to tell you everything (like "tell me how did that unfold to you?"), using "kind of" to ask people politely to just tell me a little bit about.

FOR YOUR REFERENCE ONLY!

2011-12-18 08:26:03 補充:

master Prisoner!, so you think "be in touch with the people" will not confuse people without "to" in front of it? I certainly can understand it, but to make the entire sentence clear, I add "to" in front of "be in touch with the people"

2011-12-18 08:42:44 補充:

On the other hand, I think if the sentence is written as:

"I think, be in touch with the people is what you have to do as a CEO." It will resolve the kind of confusing problem whether it is necessary to add "to" or not.

2011-12-19 02:40:54 補充:

I understand what you mean by "uncertainty" and 'weakness". After all, "I think" implies "I am not certain". Thank you, Prisoner, for your comment.

2011-12-19 02:43:55 補充:

master Bravo, your suggestion has good points in understanding the difference among "to be", "be" and "being".

Source(s): self
  • bravo

身為CEO,理應念念不忘與人相處,尤其是大眾。所以

"being in touch" is better than "be in touch ", even teh latter is OK.

"to be " give us a feeling of "next, not now!" 要看交談雙方的實際情形,才知道那個比較貼切。大體上都行,不致於誤會。

I really don't see nothing wrong with this one:

2011-12-19 01:06:59 補充:

Using root form is more forceful than otherwise.

However, "I think" in Q2 adds back the uncertainty and the weakness.

I actually hated the question.

2011-12-19 02:43:08 補充:

Have you received the scarf you won?