Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsReptiles · 8 years ago

How to find/catch Gila Monsters and Beaded Lizards in the Wild?

I want to catch one of these in the wild especially a baby one, but here's a few questions:

Where to Look?

When are they most active?

Are Beaded Lizards native to California like Gila Monsters are?

When is the Breeding Season?

What is the type of Habitat they like?

What's the diet of these lizards?

Are they somewhat like Monitor Lizards, Tegus, Blue-Tongue Skinks, or Bearded Dragons?

If I kept one as a pet, what size gallon aquarium (reptile) to put it in?

Are they legal as pets (Gila Monster) in California as the Beaded Lizards?

Can a Baby Gila Monster live with a Baby Beaded Lizard?

How are they as Pets? "Pros and Cons?"

Are they as venomous as highly venomous/aggressive Snakes or Mild-Venom?

Any other questions that you may think interesting of them for me then could you explain? thanks!

Favorite Answer

I have a Gila Monster. They a protected animal in most states. If you get caught poaching a gila monster you will pay through your nose and go to jail. If the gila monster gets hurt while you're trying to catch it...add additional fines and time to your sentence.

If you do happen to catch one and take it across state lines from the state of origin to yours or another state then you have violated the Lacey Act which means the Federal system gets you.

They are NOTHING like monitors, skinks, tegus, chameleons or anything on the market. They can be Target Trained. Gilas can too there is no similarity in their behavior. All may show keeper recognition.

•Their bite/strike is barely a blur-you usually do not see it coming until they are hanging on you chewing and envenomating you.

•It is a hemo toxic/neuro toxic cocktail and there is no effective anti-venin for it.

•It is the worst nightmare of pain you will experience in this life and survive.

•Gila monster require licenses to own in nearly every state and especially California

•Gila monsters do not play well with others. Seasonally they hit hormone patches and get grumpy irritated and it has been recorded that male gila monsters fight, sometimes losing a limb.

•Beadeds and gilas should not be together...although I did see it once-I don't at all recommend it.

•They are WILD ANIMALS and mostly start off resenting contact and handling. I placed my working glove in the habitat with the baby to have my scent in the cage. It turned out that it enjoyed hiding in my glove more than its hidey.

•I'm linking you to a couple of sites. My site has some pictures and a slideshow along with the program i do with "Picasso." It also contains the venom components and what they are used for regarding diabetes II; lung cancer, alzheimer's and now parkinson's. There is also some videos of baby gila hatching, how they bite, what the bite does-interview with a dude in the hospital: http://zoocrewkids.blogspot.com/

Secondly is Bob Applegates link to an envenomation story.: http://www.applegatereptiles.com/articles/beadedbi... I believe this happened to a breeder in California. Also Roger Beam's video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30V4V_iM974

Youtube thumbnail

Gilas and beadeds come from different environments. Activity patterns vary.

If there is anything I can do or other questions you may have please email me.

My gila was captive bred and born. She is now 5 years old. They live over 20 years with good care.