Why does it seem like most meat eaters say, "But I don't eat THAT much meat!"?

When most of the meat eaters who say that eat in excess. When someone was preaching about the negatives effects of meat on the environment and one's health, they all replied with things like, "We don't eat THAT much meat, so we're not really contributing!"

I said MOST, not ALL.

You've not met any meat eaters like that? What kind of community do I live in? I meet them all the time. Even before I went vegetarian they were everywhere.

• .,.
    Best Answer

They're just trying to find excuses to justify their bullsh!t

• Suzy Q

I guess I hardly ever meet most meat eaters.

Then again I don't feel the need to preach at meat eaters about the negative effects of their diet, so most meat eaters don't feel the need to defend their diet around me.

The only time someone says that to me is when they learn that I'm veg. I've asked a similar question here before about why they do so, and the best answer I got was that they were trying to find a common ground with me over diet. Like, you're veg...well...I don't eat THAT much meat...as if I'm judging them when I'm not.

I never said that. I eat meat, and I probably don't eat as much red meat as some people, but I eat lots of chicken and turkey. I'm a meat eater and I don't think saying eating "I don't eat that much meat" makes it any better.

• H

They're just trying to make it look like they don't torture animals at all when they really do. In most case, when people say they don't eat that much meat, they eat tons of meat.

I think you should further edit to say "some" not most.

SOme of them may say that. It's defense in light of feeling on the hotseat for killing and polluting the planet- meat pollutes the most by the factory industries that cater to meat production. If you eat meats, you'll unfortunately be seen as one of the people that support the immense pollution, the deforestation, the planet being ruined.

No vegetarian communities harm the planet the same way.

Maybe that's their reason anyway, it's certainly a form of self defense.

• Akash

All those hypocrites don't know that they're miles away from being vegan.

Ummm...maybe they dont. Thats their opinion just like you have yours..Right?

I have never heard somebody say that.

I have never heard anyone say that. This question or rant is hilarious.