S
Lv 4

What's the difference between Mbps and Mb/s?

So I'm running at 39Mbps but only 9Mb/s.. what's the difference between them and which is more important for downloading files/programs etc.

Update:

Yep, both lower case b's and both download. I used speednet for the Mb/s and the acer program for connections says it's running at 36Mbps now.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

"Bytes" and "Bits" confuses many people, you are not alone. Your two quoted variants are actually the same

As a megabit per second can be shown as (Mbit/s, Mb/s, or Mbps)

There is also mbit/s which means, literally, millibit per second) which is not the same as above and is a unit of data transfer rate that is equal to:

1,000,000 bits per second or

1,000 kilobits per second or

125,000 bytes per second.

To complete the set [but hopefully not confuse you further] there is also a "megabyte" per second, shown as (MB/s or MBps)

This stands for a unit of data transfer rate that is equal to:

8,000,000 bits per second, or

1,000,000 bytes per second, or

1,000 kilobytes per second, or

8 megabits per second.

Your connection can download at 9Mbps [megabits per second]

Source(s): Me [I read a lot of PC mags]
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • ?
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Mbit Vs Mbps

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

1. 8 kbps = 1 kB/s

2. Mbps is a transfer measurement million bits per second, while MB is a storage measurement Mega Byte.

3. If you want to find out how long it will take to transfer 1 MB on a link that can do 850kB/s it would take less than 2 seconds, and this is a fast link for home ADSL internet link about 6mbps or 6Meg. However, would be slow on a local network where connections are normally 100mbps.

Source(s): GIEZAN Corporation
  • 9 years ago

There the same thing. Both mean Megabits per second. Not to be confused with MBps which is Megabytes per second. There are 8 bits in a byte.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Ged
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

Mbps and Mb/s is the same, they only differ by spelling. The speed of your internet is 39Mbps but the actual transfer rate is 9Mbps only.

• JD
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

There isn't a difference, are you sure both 'b' letters are lower case? and both are referring to your download speed? instead of download AND upload?

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

One is bits and the other is bytes?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.