What is the meaning of the word pace in the expression "pace Karl Popper" for example?

I often find on the web pages a quote followed by "pace .... and the name of the person who it is attributed to". What is the meaning of the word pace in this context?

1. “to quote” or

2.“with thanks to”?

3. another and what?

10 points for fastest answer with a good (reliable) source

2 Answers

Relevance
  • John P
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

"Pace" is a Latin word (pronounced "par-kay" in good Latin), meaning 'peace'. Classically it is used to mean 'that's what XXX says, I disagree with him/her, but he/she is an authority'. So almost 'in spite of what he says'. Thus not 1 or 2 in your list. But people on the web sometimes get hold of wrong ideas, so it might mean almost anything in some web pages.

The other use of 'pace' from Latin is 'Requiescat In Pace', seen on tombstones as RIP.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What is the meaning of the word pace in the expression "pace Karl Popper" for example?

I often find on the web pages a quote followed by "pace .... and the name of the person who it is attributed to". What is the meaning of the word pace in this context?

1. “to quote” or

2.“with thanks to”?

3. another and what?

10 points for fastest answer with a good (reliable)...

Source(s): meaning word pace expression quot pace karl popper quot example: https://tr.im/OgeH0
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.